PDA

View Full Version : Question how do i change my brake light bulb??

stusA3
18-12-2008, 08:34 PM
hi one of my brake lghts has blown and it looks like a right pig to change. can anyone help please????????????

rd1
19-12-2008, 01:55 PM
Hi Stu,
not so difficult but just takes some time as you have to take off the rear lense cover to get to the bulbs to change them.
Undo the retaining bolts/screws from inside the boot and it should come away. I had to prise the glass away from the seal as it was stuck fast but take care as it all seemed quite fragile to me. I also found it quite difficult to get the lense back in the same position and it certainly did not seem to seal as well as it was but no water in so far so it must be alright!
Roger

A3some
20-12-2008, 12:18 AM
Just don't use any tools to prise out the light cluster, you should only use your fingers - the front edge prises outwards then the cluster pulls backwards, if that makes sense. There's a pin at the front end of the cluster that locates in a rubber grommet - that needs to be popped out first.

stusA3
23-12-2008, 11:58 AM
thanks guys i managed to do it. what a pain.

just got to be gentle

thanks for your advice

burton
05-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Your doing better than me then.....

LH Brake light out on my 3dr A3, looked in the book, followed instructions, still won't come out, had another go this lunchtime using a bit more force and having read another reply on another forum, still nothing. Popped into the local dealer to get a rear wiper blade, tried to get them to have a look with no joy, they want to charge £25 and claim you need a special tool that can't be bought.

I'm currently a very unhappy Audi owner, I hate to think how much it would cost for a new light unit if I damage mine, just waiting to get stopped by the law now, that would drive me over the edge!! It's robbery that they can charge £25 to change a bulb, that sort of thing is a consumable item and should be a doddle to fix.

stusA3
06-01-2009, 08:15 PM
hi mate i know how you feel i was the same but just be patient and it will come off.

undo the screw in the boot, thats all that holds in in with also 2 gromits which are on the wing side of the light.

once u have undone the screw the light should feel looseish. just be gentle as it does feel like its going to break nad gently leaver it and the rubber gromits will come loose. they have prob never been off.

top tip once u have it off, before u put it back on put some vasaline on the gromits.

hope this helps

burton
06-01-2009, 09:18 PM
Yeah all done now thanks, I was pulling slightly the wrong way.
Have lubed the grommets so next time should be a doddle!

Thanks for your reply.