PDA

View Full Version : A4 Avant Headlight changing??

krissanders
18-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Hi all,

Right firstly, I'm not up on the gucci headlight chat...

I bought my a4 avant 130 sport 2004 a few months ago with one previous owner. The passenger side headlight has gone - but I'm not sure what to do, is it a xenon? or HID or whatever you call them. I'm sure the car hasnt been upgraded since new, so did it come with xenon as standard or does the headlight just look like one?

Reason being, I want to obviously change the lamp, but dont know where to start with this type (xenon/HID etc). Is it just a straight forward swap or are there gases involved or something?? also High voltage? .. eek!

Apologies for my ignorance in this matter

All advice welcomed - Kris

kodkod.84
18-12-2008, 09:25 PM
You'll know if it is HID/Xenon as you will see big warning stickers with the high voltage sign all over the ballasts when you open the bonnet, also are the lights a white-blue colour or white-yellow when on?

a8 tech
18-12-2008, 09:31 PM
check if you have headlight washers if no you have normal halogen lights but if some one has retro fitted hids then look at the light output if its blinding blue tint then its hids.Never touch the headlights with the ignition on or the lights on as real xenon's can kill you.Or ring your dealer and ask them to check the pr codes for lights fitted from the factory.

RickT
19-12-2008, 02:37 PM
See this thread..

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=7485

it tells you how to do it..

Rick