PDA

View Full Version : 1996 cl 1.9 tdi estate acceleration poor at higher revs

Davdog
18-12-2008, 06:30 PM
Hi
Had this car for a few weeks now. Its in great condition for its age but I have found that if I am overtaking that the acceleration drops off after about 3 grand. Its ok in first gear but in the higher gears it stutters almost cyclically once I have passed the 3 grand mark. It does gradually build up speed but its pretty laboured. Even worse under load uphill.
Now I know they previous owner was an older fella who drove like a vicar and did very low mileage. If it is choked up somewhere where should I look? Turbo? Injectors?
Oh and there is no smoke at all. At any revs. Ever. Weird for a diesel no?
Thanks for looking
Dav

Crasher
18-12-2008, 06:35 PM
What is the engine code, 1Z? I would say first of all get a fault code read done (typically £30 at an non franchised garage) and then, if no codes are shown, replace the Air Mass Meter with a genuine VW exchange one bought from a VW dealer, do not be tempted by a pattern one.

Davdog
21-12-2008, 01:44 PM
Thanks Crasher.
I am Christmassed out of cash so will have to wait till Jan to get it properly checked. I did however have a look around the air mass meter and found a small split in the large air intake hose between the sensor and the engine. I have repaired that and things are slightly better so I think you definately pointed me in the right direction.
Once again many thanks
Happy Christmas!
Dav

HorseOffaGypsy
22-12-2008, 02:02 AM
Davdog,

I've gone and paid out good cash for new mass meters in the past (and occasionally not found any improvement) but a good place to start is a simple clean. [Its not a permanent fix but it'll be a good place to start - and its cheap!!] It's only recently that I've found that they can be "cleaned"!

There are a lot of threads explaining how this is done (for example)..

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=15977
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=51623

I'd give this a go first...

HoG

Davdog
23-12-2008, 10:30 AM
Well I cleaned the sensor in iso and another improvement!
Also the more miles I do the easier it seems to get. I've put a bottle of Forte diesel treatment in this tankfull to clean the injectors as well.
Its like running in a new car!
Thanks again
Dav

molgrips
24-12-2008, 12:53 PM
stutters almost cyclically

Like one of the injectors/lines is leaking?

Any fuel to be seen around the engine?

Davdog
07-01-2009, 12:25 PM
Thanks, I have now been all over the engine and no leaks or anything around the injectors lines etc.. No diesel smell either. As I said it seems to be improving slowly I have done another 1000 miles over Xmas and its better again.
Still no smoke from the exhaust.. Where's it all going? Hmmmm
Dav

bagseye
08-01-2009, 08:36 PM
hi.

new member here. i seem to be having the same problems

one thing i have noticed is that it does not seem to be pulling well. especially in 4th and 5th. it takes a very long time to go through the revs and seems to restrict itself to 70mph. the inspection indication does come up when you turn the ignition which i will get sorted in the next few days. would this cause it first of all?

secondly, the turbo does seem to be making a blowy type of noise but i have not looked at the hoses because of bad light. would lack of pressure cause this drop in power?

finally, whats the general opinion of the TDI engine. it has 95k on the clock and i hear quite good things off friends. Is there much problems with gasket failures? i only ask as my BMW has just had a failure

any help on this would be great.

Morgan

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/images/misc/progress.gif

Crasher
09-01-2009, 10:36 AM
Inspection 01 or 02 means it needs a service, nothing else. A fault code read would be the first job and may not show anything and if that is the case, fit a new genuine VW Air Mass Meter.

bagseye
09-01-2009, 03:56 PM
excellent

i will look at getting that done next week

in the meantime, i had a quick look under the bonnet to check the hoses and it seemed like there was a smell of exhaust gas.

it may have been diesel but i wouldnt be sure as this is my first diesel.

SEAN-LINZ
22-01-2010, 12:14 AM
hi, i have similar problem. lots of black smoke at high revs and has a drastic loss of power up hills etc. no sound at all from turbo. could this be the cat or the vacume pipes.

Crasher
22-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Unlikely to be the cat but without the results of a fault code read it is pure speculation. It may be a vacuum leak, clogged or faulty turbo, boost leak, failed N75 valve, failed Air Mass Meter, blocked air filter or one or two other reasons. What exactly is your car, year and engine code?