PDA

View Full Version : Golf Mk3 Diesel 1Y

Diesel_G
24-02-2007, 10:22 AM
Hi all,

My 1998 Golf Mk3 Diesel 1Y has developed a severe stutter / missfire. This only happens when driving in the mid-range (1600 - 2200 rpm). It is not apparent when idling, or when accelerating or when engine is being held at any RPM on the range when NOT under load. Engine starts first time everytime.

To date I've renewed the fuel filter, replaced the EGR valve and had a new timing belt fitted; all with no appreciable benefits.

I'd read a bit about the EGR valve so on closer inspection found it to be opening and closing, but I'm not sure this is happening at the correct times. I removed the vacuum hose to the EGR valve and plugged the hose and bingo....the engine runs like a dream! - but I know i'll be failing on emissions :mad:

I've read in Haynes that the EGR controlling vacuum solenoid is controlled by the glow plug relay - but it's all a bit vague..

Any suggestions?

Cheers

mojogoes
25-02-2007, 10:43 AM
Did you get a mill light when you disconnected the egr valve.....what a lot of people do is to use a steel plate too the exact same size as the valve and block it off with the hose still intact.......other than this its a complete removel of the egr or replace it with a new one or clean it all out.

Diesel_G
25-02-2007, 10:47 AM
The EGR is clean and when connected working perfectly. What I'm not sure of is the vacuum control solenoid. Is this operating the EGR vale at the right time? What controls the Vacuum soleniod?

Cheers

mojogoes
25-02-2007, 10:57 AM
Yes it does which is on a map inside the ecu....it only operates anything under 2000rpm anyway.....and can be turned down to a minimum via vag-com.....but i've never used one and got rid of my egr a long time ago but i'm shaw someone on here would know how to do that for you.

Diesel_G
25-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Thanks Mojogoes.

Does running without the EGR do any damage to the engine due to higher temperatures? How do you get through MOT emissions, apart from reconnection before testing?!

Cheers

mojogoes
25-02-2007, 11:24 AM
Thanks Mojogoes.

Does running without the EGR do any damage to the engine due to higher temperatures? How do you get through MOT emissions, apart from reconnection before testing?!

Cheers

This would be down to the/your chip tuner....you could have a couple of chips / maps made where by one would be very clean for mot time and the other an all balls out power provider....the exhaust gass recirculation actually puts worm crap air back into the inlet which worms up the soot and oil particles to limit exhaust emissions.

This is why people have to clean them out or get rid of them...

thefoolmccool
04-03-2007, 01:06 AM
On the contrary,

Removing the EGR valve is benefitial to the engine. It cuts down on soot build up in the pistons, manifold etc. It won't make the car fail emmisions either. It will be fine. A small flat plate in the bottom of the EGR valve will fix your problem.

muttley1979
23-01-2008, 02:08 AM
Hi there I read your post about diesels engine code 1y, I currently have a golf mk3 1.9d and I wanted to know if I could get a chip for it although wanted to know if I could get a chip for it although it is not a turbo engine ? Any advice would be grateful,

Also my last omissions test before my mot failed so I took it for a run then had a retest it passed ok,
I had an Exhaust fitted by power flow which I think is causing this problem I just wanted to know if this plate in the EGR would help me pass omissions for next mot

Your knowledge and wisdom would be very gratefully appreciated.

Diesel_G
23-01-2008, 08:19 AM
Hi,

I don't really know anything about alternative chips - I was more concerned with getting the car to work with its original spec. In the end I put an in line switch onto the +ve feed to the EGR control solenoid and I can switch on / off the EGR from inside the car. So when the car went for an MOT the EGR was ON, passed test and EGR off again!

I've still got a slight miss-fire when the engine is cold and being hard worked (there's a hill about half a mine from home that I climb with a cold engine). I've got my hands on some injectors from a similar model and am going to try to replace one at a time, but I've been busy and the performance is not that bad!

Cheers!

mojogoes
23-01-2008, 09:11 AM
Hi there I read your post about diesels engine code 1y, I currently have a golf mk3 1.9d and I wanted to know if I could get a chip for it although wanted to know if I could get a chip for it although it is not a turbo engine ? Any advice would be grateful,

Also my last omissions test before my mot failed so I took it for a run then had a retest it passed ok,
I had an Exhaust fitted by power flow which I think is causing this problem I just wanted to know if this plate in the EGR would help me pass omissions for next mot

Your knowledge and wisdom would be very gratefully appreciated.

You can not chip your motor but you can increase the fuel flow but only sligtly because of the (no turbo) situation............this engine is very limited .

It does sound that your egr and inletmaifold is to some degree filling/full of gunge from soot and the oil from the crank breather pipe which is fed back up to the ccv puk..........it all needs taking off and soaking in a strong grime remover and then scrapping of and jet washing etc.............this all makes the egr valve stick open or shut plus limits the amount of air that can pass through the egr and inlet.

Take the egr off and have a look down it and inside the egr/inlet , chances are it blocked.