PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Interior lighting issues - "M" reg Audi 80 1994

5turner
17-12-2008, 10:20 PM
Hi there,

The other day I switched my ignition on and flicked my headlights on to find absolutely none of my interior lighting working. That goes for instrument cluster, temperature gauges, oil pressure, oil temperature, battery voltage, and also my fag lighter.

Fuses all ok.

Any ideas on what this may be?

micheal balbrig
17-12-2008, 10:42 PM
Hi there,

The other day I switched my ignition on and flicked my headlights on to find absolutely none of my interior lighting working. That goes for instrument cluster, temperature gauges, oil pressure, oil temperature, battery voltage, and also my fag lighter.

Fuses all ok.

Any ideas on what this may be?

If all your problem items are on same fuse you could see if you are getting power to fuse i.e check the small metal
part on the top of the fuse both sides with a meter or test lamp. If no power present then maybe loose connector
at rear fusebox or similar. Ign would need to be on for test

scotty33
18-12-2008, 12:56 AM
Hi,

The number plate lights, glovebox lamp and instruments etc are fed from the same fuse.
It is fairly common for the wiring to break/short in the boot hinge area which can cause the fuse to blow.
The circuit board inside the instrument cluster can also be quite 'flakey' :

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=8426&highlight=temp+gauge&page=2

ford776
18-12-2008, 01:16 PM
You haven't knocked the dimmer switch on the instrument panel have you? It looks like the reset button for the trip meter.

Andy

RJS_90q
24-12-2008, 11:28 PM
The dash dimmer sounds like a possibility.

Another area to check would be the harness that is attached to the boot (and flexes when the boot is opened / closed). It is (in)famous for becoming damaged and causing problems including blowing light fuses etc.

Hope that this helps,

Regards,
Bob