PDA

View Full Version : A3 Sportback S-Line Black Edition - What kind of deal?

LWCARAB
17-12-2008, 06:43 PM
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and am looking at buying an a3 Sportback S-Line Black edition 2.0T, What kind of discount should I expect considering the car is 25-26k catalogue price.

Thanks,

Richard

tlionhart
17-12-2008, 07:32 PM
Hi! welcome :)

Depends how you intend to pay for it? Like HP or PCP (pcp is where you hand the car back after say 3-4yrs...and get a new car. HP where you finance the car to buy it outright) Both these factors matter as there is different % rates in interest and deals to be had.

for example; I just ordered a new 1.4 sline with most things inside and at most dealers that was at 6%. Car value about £22700...most were preparing to give it to me for 21995.

Expect about £3-500 off. It doesn't hurt to shop around either...try with different groups and get stricter on how much your willing to pay. If your a determined customer just looking for the right deal...with these current times you prob get a good deal.
Having said that, if they just arn't shifting any 1.8 sline+black ed pack sportbacks for example...you might get a lot more off. It truly is a game...just ringing around and finding the right budget for you. It's very competitive...

Every dealer gets different allocation amounts...so if a particular showroom arn't selling, they may be tempted to just get rid to meet quota

Simon Audi
17-12-2008, 11:09 PM
Hi,

As well as the finance query above, do you really want to own the car? Personal Leasing is another option which you can do through a leasing company, not the garages, here you can save even more money.

Some of these leasing companies will also let you buy outright from them and will provide finance, standard HP and PCP also.

They have really good discounts from the manufacturers, and can often buy the cars cheaper than the Main Dealers!!

I recently bought one for my wife through Autograph Contracts

www.autographcontracts.co.uk

I found them very helpful and efficient, and they offered all possible finance options.

The finance was arranged by them through Audi Finance on a Personal Lease, that my local dealer told me was not possible.

In addition, they passed on their 10% purchase price discount, to me, content to make only the set up charge from the Finance Company, that the dealer makes on top of the car profit and PX profit.

Another site worth checking out is Broadspeed.com

They are listing the 2.0T FSI S-Line at a price of 20,497 instead of 23,093

They introduce you to an Audi dealer, and can offer finance etc., but I am not sure of the service or finance rates.

Get the best deal you can from these on-line companies, then go to your local dealer with things in Black and White and see what they can do. With sales down 30% I am sure most will be keen for the sale at low to zero margin, so they can meet their sales quotas and keep their bonuses.

Regards

Simon

Simon Audi
17-12-2008, 11:22 PM
Hi,

Forgot to add, the important thing is Price and Warrantee.

Make sure the supplier is a UK based Dealer (most are) to get full warranty.

The on line guys will deliver the car, so you only need to correspond by post, phone and e-mail, so do not worry about their location.

If you are going to finance the car, make sure you compare apples with apples, downpayment and monthly payment, having a car £1000 cheaper may not be the cheapest option if they charge higher interest rates.

Always go back to them all to push them down of the finance interest rates, especially if you have a good credit rating, they get a larger fee from the finance companies if the sell at 10% APR as compared to 8% APR.

Regards

Simon

rd1
18-12-2008, 12:16 AM
Hi Richard,
if you do want to use your local Audi dealer then take the internet quote to them and ask them to match the price offered.
I did this with an A4 in Sept of this year as I wanted the personal and local contact. The dealer matched the best web price I had as its clear that they want the sales. Don't forget to include the extras in the quote and once the price is agreed then still haggle for the servicing, tyre insurance and maintenance plans available.
good luck!
Roger.

LWCARAB
18-12-2008, 12:35 AM
Thanks for the replies, the garage I am looking at dealing with is Guilders in Sheffield. I went in yesterday to have a look at a cheap a6 they had in stock (22895 for new a6 s-line with sat nav) but the 380 a month on 48 month pcp is too much, that was with a 5k deposit. Like that said the a6 has poor resale values to the pcp works out expensive.

tlionhart
18-12-2008, 12:36 AM
I've just seen your reply...

That is quite alot for a 48 month term. Are you able to trade your car in? Aim to have that figure at 300...they will prob be pushed down to £330 p/m

Also, take those figures to another dealer and ask them to beat it to a figure you can comfortably afford

LWCARAB
18-12-2008, 12:41 AM
Forgot to mention that I would be part exchanging my current 57 Leon FR TDI 170 with 13600 on the clock, I was offered 10k by audi yesterday but would need to pay off the 6k remaining on my personal loan to take up new finance.

tlionhart
18-12-2008, 12:54 AM
which of these is it?

A) cars value is £16k, but you need to pay the other 6k as audi will give you 10k
B) you will only have £4000 remaining as the rest would be going to pay of the loan?

If i have got be right by saying B....shop around for dealers...they might ask for a deposit on the day in order to meet your demand. You can give audi £1000 as a minimum deposit and come back later...when the car arrives with the rest.

LWCARAB
18-12-2008, 01:01 AM
which of these is it?

A) cars value is £16k, but you need to pay the other 6k as audi will give you 10k
B) you will only have £4000 remaining as the rest would be going to pay of the loan?

If i have got be right by saying B....shop around for dealers...they might ask for a deposit on the day in order to meet your demand. You can give audi £1000 as a minimum deposit and come back later...when the car arrives with the rest.

New car would be 25-26k, my px is 10k (may get more privately) but need to use 6k of that to pay off my current personal loan which leaves 4k for a deposit to which I could add another 1k to make 5k

tlionhart
18-12-2008, 01:03 AM
try and play with the £4000. Tell them thats what your willing to give...they should accept that

jsol15
04-01-2009, 04:07 PM
I see audi are doing a finance offer on the A3 blackline. you can get the 1.8TFSI (sportback) blackline for about £270 p.m with a £4700 deposit based on a 3 year pcp. I am looking at ex-demo S-lines at the mo with a budget of around 17k but am v.tempted by this offer

tlionhart
04-01-2009, 04:40 PM
in my opinion the black edition isn't my cup of tea. Im use to black piano inlays, but the silver ones seem more sportier. The black edition is a great way to get the options on your car for £900. (led lights, bose which come to £5-600 each) Aslo its great with that pack you get the flat bottom steering wheel.

You'll probably find jsol15, that example will be slightly different when you go and speak to someone in the sales dept. They will try their best to meet your needs.

I think PCP is the way forward now as cars always depreciate. The way you got to look at it is;
-You could own a car and run it into the ground...however with an expired warranty Audi's arn't cheap to repair, so long term maintenance could be a expensive. Once that car goes, to get yourself to the same standard as square one, you need to find the cash anyway.
-You can always take a PCP over 4yrs which lowers the deposit and monthly payback. However interest is slightly high. But it gets you into a new car, with all the gadgets you want. Also you can always part-ex it after 2yrs. (but walk away, pay to keep the car, etc is at the end of the term) Moral is, you'll have a car with a warranty and if it goes wrong, it's audi's problem.

Talk to a sales manager, lay the table with them. Tell them exactly how much you can you want to pay a month, how much deposit your able to give them. If the figure is slightly out of their league, they'll say no...then they ring you back 4days later as a 'courtesy' call accepting an offer ONLY if you give them a credit card on the phone.

The first dealer must be kicking themselfs...they overpriced a ex-demo a3. Not even with everything in it. I had done a lot of research into the new model and it only clicked onto me I would be paying too much, so told them to lower the cars price. The business manager got greedy, said no. I said, what about a new car...its prob slightly cheaper to get a new car and it will have 0/-10miles on the clock, colour i want and gadgets i want. So they agreed to a new car. However, still trying to give this to me at full wack with very little discount. I mean £400p/m on an 3yr PCP is a joke!
I walked away, went to another dealer. Fortunatly knew someone at my local dealer who's buisness manager gave me an 'unbeatable' offer if a purchase was made that day. So pen onto paper, and some deposit handed. Now ordered. (A call was made to another branch in that group who was prepared to give me a better offer than the first dealer i went to visit. 5 % if i remember.)
A day later the first dealer gave me a call back...told them sorry order made. They must have been gutted!

So it pays to shop around (as in different audi groups), you MIGHT be able to get 5% or less with a discount on the car.

jsol15
04-01-2009, 04:52 PM
the offer i mentioned above is at 5.7% APR which seems pretty good. got an 05 mini cooper to trade in hoping for 5-6k trade in! only thing about it is they dont do the 1.4 on this spec, think the 1.8 might be a little thirsty so would have to look at one of the diesels which are more expensive and the above mentioned finance offer wont apply to

tlionhart
04-01-2009, 05:18 PM
at first i thought it was on the 1.4. Until i asked about it when i went to order my car. Your right in saying the 1.8 is a bit thirsty. Would you ever go for just a 1.4 T fsi?

jsol15
04-01-2009, 06:11 PM
the 1.4 tfsi is the engine i have been looking at getting. its not available in blackline trim though so it would have to be the diesel.
I will be interested to see what you get round town in the 1.4.

LWCARAB
04-01-2009, 06:17 PM
That's a good deal which may tempt me, only thing is I worry I may find the 1.8t a bit slow, I currently have a 57 leon fr tdi 170

jsol15
04-01-2009, 06:21 PM
dont think the 1.8 tfsi is patricularly slow, just a bit thirsty. how about the TDI 170?or are the similar speed wise?

LWCARAB
04-01-2009, 06:40 PM
The 1.8tfsi is a little faster on paper than my tdi 170 but I think the lack of torque will make it feel slower. The a3 tdi 170 is basically the same price at the 2.0t which I imagine is much more fun. With that deal, is the priced fixed or is there still a deal to be made?

jsol15
04-01-2009, 06:55 PM
i'd imagine you would still get some sort of discount. the likes of WhatCar make a point in saying you should never pay full list price for a car these days. if you dont try you dont get and as said earlier on his forum you can always use different dealers and internet brokers to play one another off!!

tlionhart
05-01-2009, 04:32 PM
yes, you would most probably get a deal. JSOL15 when i get the car, ill let you know. Its going to be petrol though...but guess it will give you an idea. I always thought, the audi site gives you a typical MPG in their brochure or car spec section?

jsol15
05-01-2009, 07:20 PM
they do quote the figures, but in most cases what they say the figures are and what you actually get are a long way out ( I base that on the experience of previous cars i have owned!). i think the 1.4 tfsi is quoted of achieving 35.9 mpg urban. Ifthats the case, and given the price difference between petrol and diesel, then the 1.4 looks a good proposition!

tlionhart
05-01-2009, 07:58 PM
it wouldn't surprise if the black edition became available on the 1.4 later this year. I noticed there was a 'tecknik' upgrade package.
Whats your opinion like on the black edition? I just think audi went over the top with the spray can. Might change my opinion though when i see one. Perhaps everyones gone for white, so they need to use the black up? :approve: