PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Problems with the engine now! :(

kasper1287
16-12-2008, 10:03 PM
Guys

But....
I N E E D H E L P!

I have a Volkeswagon Golf Mk4 1.6se. I have had loads of problems with this car and now I am loosing my temper with it and want to eaither sell it or get shot of it. I have NO Reverse gear yes thats right I have to push the thing back every where I need reverse. Thats not the problem. I now have a problem with the engine. I have checked the oil level and I think it is all good but as i have taken the oil cap off I have a yellow cremy earwax bubble stuff on the cap. My good freind J my personal car machanic has told me that he thinks the head is about to go? What do you guys think? Is he right am I in ****? help!

Pleease help or I am goign to cry :http://www.project-carz.co.uk/pcforumv3/images/smilies/emoticon-0101-sadsmile.gif

Kasper

kenney
16-12-2008, 10:14 PM
Hi It does not necessarily mean the head gasket.If you have a lot of short journey driving,that can also be the cause of it,especially at this time of year. Have a look at the engine breather hose and make sure it is clear.

Crasher
16-12-2008, 10:20 PM
All the 1.6 and 2.0 8 valve Golf 4 platform engines (AKL, AEH, AQY, APK etc) leave a lot of mayonnaise in the oil filler cap and the breather tubes, it just needs cleaning out at each service. If you aren’t loosing water, don’t worry about it.

tdi142
16-12-2008, 10:24 PM
Sorry mate it sounds like your head gasket is on its way out. How is the water level in the expansion tank. Make sure you keep the water level upto the mark. Is there any bubbling in the epansion tank ? Also check the exhaust for lots of steam when the engine is upto temperature. Checck your gear linkage as well , this could be your gear problem.Check your gearbox oil. If the car has been poorly maintained oil could be your problem and a good flush and service may be the solution.If you head gasket is gone take your thermostat out and trade it in!

kasper1287
16-12-2008, 10:40 PM
Ok guys thanks for your reply. I know about the gearbox I think its the rivit problem snapping. I will top up oil and water tomz and clean the cap etc. And will run it for a while and let u know wht i find. and tdi142 what do you mean about taking thermostat out and trade it in? isit worth getting a head set and replacing the gasket and all seals

kasper1287
16-12-2008, 11:14 PM
quote from reply on another forum:

Oh sorry, very similar engine and head, just a CC increase.

Do an oil change with some Mobil 1, Castrol EDGE of one of the longlife VW Fuchs oils, use a proper VW filter and give it a good long run every now and again.

HG failure is very rare on anything except overheated BMW's, Audi's with waterpump failure, K series rover with low coolant, anything French and anything with 200k plus.

I'll bet you a tenner to your fave charity that your Golf isn't fubared.

do you think I should do this? as this is the expert vag forum :)

kasper1287
17-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Ok I have cleaned all the top and funnel up and topped water up? I checked my temp sensor is working so took that out and lost quite a bit of water so cant really say if I am loosing water.But Filled it up to max and let it run for about 10 mins and let it get warm ... and the filler cap was fine? I took it round the estate where I live and when i got back it had a very small smidge of yellow foam? What else should I do? I need the car but dont want to drive it anywhere? Will an oil change after putting engine flush in do anything?

K

Crasher
17-12-2008, 06:33 PM
A light smear of yellow is nothing to worry about, perfectly normal. If there is no coolant loss and no steam from the exhaust, take it for a good run and get it hot, the yellow film should go away but even if it doesn’t, don’t worry. I service around 3 of these engines a week and they are always clogged up with mayo and I hardly ever come across one that needs a gasket. I have just done a Beetle with a 2L 8v (very similar engine) and the owner was told it needed a head gasket and it doesn’t.