PDA

View Full Version : Please Help A3 radiator and heating problem

graya12
16-12-2008, 08:39 PM
Hi

I have a 51 reg A3 and after going on any length of journey over a couple of minutes the water overheats and boils over. The water boils and steam will come out of the bonnet.

The engine temp gauge in the car slowly rises to 90 and will sit there fine all the journey. The car also runs, drives and sounds fine.

When i stop the car and take the cap off the water bottle, the water will just boil over before the cap is even half off.

The top pipe from the thermostat gets red hot but the pipe from the termostat to the radiator is stone cold. the radiator is also cold. I have had the thermostat and all the housing changed but this has not solved the problem.

I have also had the head gasket checked and this is fine. I had the water pump changed 6 months ago when i bought the car because the engine temp in the car was running at 110. the engine temp has been 90 ever since and still is today. Im not sure however the wuality of the water pump that was put on.

I have read a few posts on here saying that the pipes and radiator will not get hot because of the time of year but it just doesnt sound right to me.

i have been told that there is only about 2 pints of water going round the top half of the engine but there is none flowing through the radiator or the rest of the engine.

Has anyone had this problem before or knows of how I can get this problem sorted.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you:zx11: