PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying A3 - what to look out for

UK_TIVO
16-12-2008, 09:45 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm about to change my wife's X5 3.0D Sport for an A3.
We have seen an 05 plate 2.0T FSI DSG Sport 5 door, it has 28K on the clock and comes from a main dealer.

Just a few questions please..
1. Never had a DSG box.. Are they good and reliable?
2. Any "Real world" figures for this engine on general school runs, A / B roads? The trip is around 6 miles each way in mixed traffic and open country side,, about 50/50
3. Asking price for the car is 10,950, this sounds a little high to me but I have not negotiated yet,,, ;)
4. What if anything should I be asking about.. recalls, common faults etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Roy

UK_TIVO
17-12-2008, 10:24 AM
Has anyone any inputs before i jump into the Audi A3 club? :biglaugh:

I took the car for a spin last night. Have to say, I was very impressed. There seems quite a lot of room inside, the boot is a little small for the family, all this means is that we will have to carry less rubbish around with us.

The engine seemed eager.. and quite nippy, comfortable and looks great.
any inputs from you seassoned owners would be great.

Roy

A3some
20-12-2008, 09:09 AM
I'd better reply, you'll think we're all asleep. I've had mine for a year and I know I had to get the engine replaced - good thing I bought mine from a dealer or I would have been lumbered with the cost of that - I covered the cost of new clutch, and timing belt etc.
The warning here is to check thoroughly the history receipts of the vehicle and make sure you get the dealer to give the car a full service - although you can't prove they actually do anything (my thoughts only) at least you have the stamp in the book.
I think that, to be fair, the only things that can be considered unreliable are the ignition coils, and for a while I've been thinking I should carry a spare one or two in the car at all times in case one breaks.
For driving I've not been able to fault the car. Its been the most stable car (with the right tyres) I've ever driven.
Its also great to look at, and I would choose an A3 over a Focus or astra any day.

I had to take it for an MOT two weeks ago, and I 'knew' it would pass and it did except for one headlamp bulb so I got the lad from my Halfords to replace both of them (cost extra £2) so no mechanical faults really. This after 20,000 miles driving over 12 months.

Yes I know if you look in this forum that my A3 (and others the same) have a fault (possibly to do with fuel pressure) that hasn't been cured yet. I do think that the A3 can be a very expensive car to run when it goes wrong. But you have to find an independent VW/Audi garage to trust your car to, as I know my Audi dealer rates are currently £90 per hour (I've never had any work done there) so this makes sense.

Good luck with it if you buy it, it has a low mileage so I would say the 'best' of the engine isn't noticeable yet - there is a BIG difference between my new 2.0 engine I have now and last year's 70,000 mile 2.0 engine - at 70k the car was fantastic!! So I know I have that to look forward to again, if that makes sense!
Hope this isn't too much waffle.

UK_TIVO
21-12-2008, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the information.
Well we are now proud owners of a A3 2.0TFSI with DSG box.

I took in from Staffs to London and back on the first day of having it. Have to say I was impressed with the car.
Interesting you mention tyres as two on the car are now at 3mm and I think its time for replacing them (even thou the dealer says they are Ok under the Audi checks, I still got them to contribute 50% for replacements). What tyres would you recommend? I do this the road noise is quite high at the moment. I think the car is running dunlops on the front and continetal on the rear. Any suggestions?

Faults I have found so far.. (minor, but need to be addressed as Im buying from a dealer at top notch money).
1. Center arm rest won't adjust. Just falls to the bottom poisition
2. I have four or five stone chips, but right on the lip of the bonnet which are now rusty.

Ive asked the dealer to look at both of these issues.

Roy

kite
21-12-2008, 04:29 PM
The armrest will be a broken cable.
I would have thought the dealer should sort those kind of issue's before sellijng the car.

UK_TIVO
22-12-2008, 10:59 AM
Kite,
I had a look at the armrest this weekend and managed to fix it by pushing a plastic bit at the very bottom at the back. Something clicked and the arm rest now works.

Not too sure where i stand with the rust on the bonnet thou, im hoping they will take it in, rub down and touch up with a view of keeping the customer happy.

If anyone has any input on best tyres to go for please I would apprciate that.

At the moment I'm being quoted 100 pound fitted for Goodyear F1. any one got these?
roy

omegadirective
22-12-2008, 11:18 AM
I have them on my 2002 S3, different car I know but I can't fault them.

I've taken the car round corners too quick on roads I don't know, both in wet and dry, cacking myself thinking I've pushed it too far and the car grips and straightens perfectly. I'm thoroughly impressed by the grip the tyres have. I could say how they'd differ on your car but thumbs up from me! I'll be getting them put back on when my car needs new ones.

RE the rust. I think, and I will try and find the document, Audi cover stone chips for 10 years or maybe more and have to touch up the paint and remove the rust. I am unsure if it includes stone chips though. Give me 30 mins or so and I'll try and find out if I still have the document bookmarked for you. :)

omegadirective
22-12-2008, 11:47 AM
I was wrong. :( Getting things confused. Body Protection for 12 years, paint guarantee for 3 years, but since you're buying the car from a dealer I would expect them to sort it out.

Three-year Paint Warranty
All Audi vehicles are provided with a warranty for a period of three years from the date of first registration against any manufacturing defects with the paintwork.
The only preconditions are:
The defect must be reported to a member of the Audi authorised network as soon as it is discovered. This must, of course, be within the warranty period
The defect must not be due to external influences such as accident damage, climatic, thermal, chemical or industrial pollution, insufficient care or maintenance. This will be determined by a member of the Audi authorised network at the time of inspection.
Body Protection Warranty
All current Audi vehicles are fully protected during manufacture against rust attacking the internal cavities of the bodywork for 12 years from the date of first registration.
The only preconditions are:
The defect must be reported to a member of the Audi authorised network as soon as it is discovered. This must, of course, be within the warranty period
The perforation must not have been caused originally by damage, neglect, insufficient care or maintenance, or by external rusting
A member of the Audi authorised network must be advised about any rusting immediately it is found
All body repairs will be carried out promptly in accordance with the manufacturer’s technical guidelines, using only approved parts and materials, in order to maintain the original level of anti-corrosion protection

Source: Audi UK (http://www.audi.co.uk/etc/medialib/cms4imp/audi2/uk/Products/owners_area/Audi_Extras.Par.0020.File.pdf)

UK_TIVO
22-12-2008, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the input.. New Good years going on tomorrow and they will look at the rusty chips ( sounds like an american fast food ) and get in booked in for the new year to get them done.
So far so good with this dealer..

omegadirective
22-12-2008, 12:14 PM
Sounds good mate! :) You should post some pictures when you get her nice and shiny after the stone chip op! ;)

Speaking of which, I'll have to post pics of mine somewhere! :)

UK_TIVO
22-12-2008, 12:17 PM
I know its slightly off topic.. but I really have to say that im impressed with the A3. The 2ltr petrol engine has lots of pull and sounds pretty good too...
Im not quite use to FWD at the moment.. so still finding myself applying too much power out of corners etc.. but i will get use to that (not even my car, look at me)..

But i would be tempted to look at Audi when I want to get rid of my car later in the year.. Perhaps an A5...

A3some
22-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Good Luck with the new tyres then. Just for info I've had Goodyear Excellence fitted from new, 20,000 miles done on them. Got em fitted at walkers last year for £360 the set. I can't fault them they've been 'excellent'.
however there are user reviews about on the 'net and not everyone has the same idea. So each to their own on that.

My next set are going to be Bridgestone Potenza's so I don't even have brand loyalty any more!