PDA

View Full Version : Multitronic/Tiptronic

Shep
23-02-2007, 10:38 AM
Hi guys, was thinking of getting an A4 Avant but it turned out the boot wasn't big enough. So now looking at the A6, however, I'm unclear on the difference between multitronic and tiptronic gearboxes. Do they both have paddle shifts? It seems the higher range cars only have tiptronic as an option. I've always preferred manuals personnally but wonder if these automatics are now approaching manuals for performance and economy. Any explanations/opinions gratefully received.

Teutonic_Tamer
27-02-2007, 07:15 PM
The Audi conventional autobox, with Tiptronic shift, is not particularly refined.

The Multitronic is a completely different box. It is basically a continuously variable transmission (CVT), using an effing big chain to transmit the drive. There are no conventional "gear ratios", but the "manual" paddle or stick shifts mimic separate ratios. The driving experience of the CVT is quite different to "normal" auto boxes, in that the engine revs seem to stay the same!

I personally don't like either box, probably because the 6 speed manual is actually a superb box, and the DSG in the GTI is a quantum leap again.

HTH, rgds