PDA

View Full Version : New car questions...

Sqwim
15-12-2008, 01:37 PM
Hi, I finally got round to buying the A4 Avant I had my eye on at the weekend. Been reading the manuals and having a play this weekend (though not much of one as the weather was **** poor and the weekend was a busy one). I have a few questions hopefully some of you might be able to help me with:

1) SatNavPlus - Initially there was no DVD in the car at all so drove back and they got me one from another car. However, I notice that it says it is 'DVD1', indicates that it is for Western Europe and that there is a 'DVD2' for Eastern Europe. Can someone tell me if I should have got the second DVD as well. I assume so but could do with knowing for sure before chasing them (you never know, I might want to holiday in Romania next year!

2) The manual indicates that the car comes with two key fobs and a 'spare' key (which seems to be a 'spacesaver'. I only got the two fobs. Can someone confirm that I should have got the 'spare' as well in which case I will chase them for that too!

3) iPod Preparation - when I pull the iPod out the entire casing comes out too (very easily)! Has anyone else experienced this? Yes I could send the car back to them for this but, looking at the fittings, I'm not sure they'd be able to do much without some sort of bodge.

4) How can I tell if the car has the automatic windscreen wipers option? It has the auto anti-dazzle rear view mirror (bit pointless to be honest!) and I assume the rain detector is incorporated into the same sensor (is that right?).

5) In the phone/SatNav directory the 'Business' properties of an entry are always shown initially. Can I change this to 'Private'? Please don't tell me I have to enter everything into the business properties. That'd just be messy and there are so many nice touches to the car that it would be a shame to have to settle for it!

6) Diesel particulate filter - do all recent A4 diesels have them? The manual refers to one and doesn't say it is an 'option' as it does with all the other 'your car could have' options.

Thanks very much in advance for any answers forthcoming!

Cheers
Sqwim

urbanaspect
15-12-2008, 03:35 PM
3) What iPod do you have? Are you using an adaptor? The housing on mine does 'pull out' but only when forced - never when merely removing an ipod.

6) DPF is only on the 170bhp version of the 2.0 TDi, not the 140bhp.

Sqwim
15-12-2008, 03:47 PM
3) It's a 30Gb Video Gen 5 iPOD. It doesn't need any of the adapters for the cradle, it fits without. It comes out easily enough it's just that very very little effort is needed to remove the casing. The 'lugs' are all still there, they just don;t seem to catch on anything!

6) Thanks, I have the 140. Was just wondering since all the other 'options' have the asterisk indicating it 'might not be available on your model' but this section didn't!

Cheers

kodkod.84
15-12-2008, 06:58 PM
2) Keys should be 2x flip remote keys and 1x little plastic emergency key

4) If you have auto-dimmer, you should have auto wipers, put the stalk on first setting and adjust sensitivity with the rocker switch. To confirm have a look at the windscreen and there should be a largish sensor where the mirror is attached.

Enjoy your new motor ;)

kite
15-12-2008, 07:15 PM
There are 2 nav discs !

Tris
15-12-2008, 08:40 PM
1) SatNavPlus - Yes there are 2 disk's (they come in one case). Mine was missing Disk 2 but i baggered the dealer into getting me the other disk out of another car :D

JohnH
16-12-2008, 12:13 AM
The auto wipers came with the auto-dimming mirror (which was the only feature I actually wanted) and the auto / coming home lights.

I find the auto-wipers to be generally an irritant but the auto-dimming mirror is brilliant imho, I first 'experienced' one on my B5 in '99 (when it was a standard fitment on the SE) and whilst initially sceptical have liked them ever since....

Whilst my 170 TDi has a DPF, they were also optional extras on the 140 TDi when I ordered my car although I'd have to ask why would you pay extra for a bung in the exhaust ? I'm pretty sure that later cabrio autos have one whether you like it or not so perhaps some other 140 TDis are also similarly afflicted ? It's never caused me a problem but I suspect it contributes to disappointing fuel economy on my 170.

A tip on the auto-wipers - switch them off and then on again at slow speed after you start off to get them to re-callibrate, otherwise you'll just be cursing the rain splattered screen, I think the manual says something about this somewhere.

Sqwim
18-12-2008, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the answers so far folks.

Have contacted dealer and requested a spare key (which will have to be reprogrammed at a different dealer to the one from which I bought the car as they are miles away, I'm hoping they do not charge for this as the car should have come with it in the first place).

Have also requested the second Sat Nav DVD (and the case they came in would be nice!).

Yep, have got the auto wipers working now. Will refrain from judging the anti dazzle yet and give it some time... it does make things a tad green though!

Any ideas on #5?
Also, any tips for tightening up the fitting of the iPod prep?

Many thanks

urbanaspect
18-12-2008, 07:41 PM
As for the ipod dock do you still have the shims and adaptors for different ipods?

If not ask the dealer to supply if you want to push it.

If so, glue a shim to the outside of the dock to make it a more snug fit.