PDA

View Full Version : Second hand A6 Towbar.. what do I need to get with it??

TSwede
14-12-2008, 10:05 PM
HI All - I have just bought and A6 Avant 1999 - I am going to buy and attempt to fit a towbar - and see used ones coming up on ebay sometimes...
If I buy a used A6 towbar what to I need to get with it??? Is there a certain amount of dedicated wiring/relays that I will have to buy separately if it doesn't come complete with wiring? If this is the case and if the wiring/relays are expensive it might not be worth getting a used one - this is why I just want to check what 'everything included' actually is...

Can anyone advise?

Much appreciated

Tony

wacky77
27-12-2008, 10:06 AM
Hi mate, I've fitted one to my 1999 a6 avant and posted step by step instructions on this forum here -http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=5947&highlight=a6+towbar

Basically the towbar slots INSIDE the ends of the chassis legs, items you'll need are-
A towbar.
A 12N socket and wiring.
A posi drive screwdriver
A torx bit set
A socket set with a range up to 17mm

Now theres a lot of talk of wether or not you need to fit a relay to the wiring, put simply if you have the on board computer then you do, if like mine it doesn't have the on board computer then good old fashioned scotch locks to the rear light wiring safely does the trick.
If you do need the relay then use the 12v 'cigarette' socket for a feed to the relay, the purpose of the relay is to just require the tiniest amount of voltage from the cars own light circuits (something like 0.5v) to light up the trailer lights thus not confusing the on board computer with a larger than usual draw on voltage.

Have a look at the instructions on fitting, it is quite an easy job tho It took me a while as I had no instructions and had to figure it out myself lol

Everything included usually means all the bolts and wiring for a single socket are with it, the relay probably isn't
I fitted a westfalia detatchable type, cost new is around £450 fitted (i think) or if you go to audi £1000!!
I found a brand new one on ebay that the seller had bought in error, he had a quattro avant but bought one for a front drive a6- the chassis are different at the rear and I think they're different again if you have self levelling suspension so be sure you get the right one for you're car.
Anyway mine cost £130 including all nuts/bolts/wiring so I think its safe to say you'll save plenty of cash doing it yourself-
single socket wiring kits without the relay can be bought for around £15 quid from local motor factors or ebay.
Relays are around £25 on ebay, just don't confuse 12S socket relays for 12N socketrelays- one is for power for a caravans fridge unit/reverse lights etc the other is for wiring trailer lights up to a car with an on board computer system.

Click this link for wiring diagrams-
http://www.towitall.co.uk/trailer_wiring/instructions.htm

Cheers and good luck-Steve

TSwede
28-12-2008, 12:09 AM
That is absolutely brilliant - many thanks indeed!!!!!

avanted
30-12-2008, 06:13 PM
I bought a second hand one that hadn't been fitted ..., read the article on here, which i found to be spot on, and proceeded to fit it in a day , no problem