PDA

View Full Version : GearBox Oil Level

Celtic Cousin
22-02-2007, 10:53 PM
Before checking the oil level on my 130TDi (5 Speed) I thought that I'd read the instructions in ElsaWin.

It first of all states that the oil "Specified value: oil level 7 mm below bottom edge of oil filler hole."

but then goes on to say

Note:
The oil can be filled up to the bottom lip of the oil filler hole when servicing.

Is there something lost in translation or is it the Celtic interpretation of the language; they can't both be right.

Dave Avant
23-02-2007, 05:41 PM
Sounds a bit daft, how would you know its 7mm from the hole!?!?!? Unless you dip your finger in and measure it. :D

Normally it's level with the bottom of the filler hole, or fill it until it starts to come out. On a flat surface you can leave it until it stops dripping out. Difficult I know to do unless you have a garage car lift. At home its case of it not being straight on a jack. Suppose you could fill it, lower the car back down so the car is level, raise back up and stick the plug back.

Just changed the gearbox and diff oil on the Z3. The manual says its a non drain and filled for life, but the diff oil was a tad manky!!

Lex Luthor
23-02-2007, 06:46 PM
It first of all states that the oil "Specified value: oil level 7 mm below bottom edge of oil filler hole."

but then goes on to say

Note:
The oil can be filled up to the bottom lip of the oil filler hole when servicing.

Is there something lost in translation or is it the Celtic interpretation of the language; they can't both be right.

Seems quite straight forward...
The factory fill leaves the oil level 7mm below the hole, but for servicing purposes you are allowed to fill it to level....

Celtic Cousin
23-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Of course filling to the level stud appears logical but in ElsaWin it's always refered to "Oil Filler Stud"

What also seemed strange is that they recommend that "..........check oil level with locally manufactured tool e.g. a piece of angled wire".

I only wanted to check the level because the gearchange is tight between 1st & 2nd (even when hot), or does anyone have an alternative suggestion for a cause for this. Car has travelled 51k

seraph
23-02-2007, 11:17 PM
most in the trade will top up via the filler hole until it runs out (if using a pump system)

cphaza
09-09-2007, 02:11 AM
can anyone tell me where the filler plug is? I have a 96 a4 tdi with the 1z engine, the splined drain plug is easy enough to find, struggling with where to refill it from though!

Celtic Cousin
09-09-2007, 08:03 PM
On a 2002 (5 spd) version the filler is through the plug which is located on the box casing by the LH driveshaft output.

I added some STP gearbox treatment which made the change much sweeter.