PDA

View Full Version : A6 Drivers Door Lock Jammed?

MetalMan
22-02-2007, 09:56 PM
Can anyone give me some advice please. I have seen threads about similar problems but not quite the same as mine.

The drivers door refuses to unlock - with the key, through the remote central locking, using the internal central locking switch and even through the internal door release! I simply cannot open it.

The central locking tries to lift the pip but fails, the door release does lift the pip but there is a lot of resistance and it drops back. It is as if the lock mechanism has jammed - which it probably has. Problem is without being able to open the door (tried copious WD40ing where i can reach) I cant remove the door trim to get at it.

Any advice suggestions as to how I may be able to open it and to the nature of the problem much appreciated.:1zhelp:

Thanks,

MetalMan

ian_n_paterson
25-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Hello Metalman,

My A6 Avant has recently developed exactly the same problem; passenger door stuck closed. Can you tell me how you've got on with a fix for yours? Doors/windows seem to be weak-points for these cars from what I gather from t'web.

I've seen a post whereby mention of doors being cut-off at the hinges is mentioned...:aargh4:

Any advice welcomed!!

Cheers,
Ian

MetalMan
25-04-2007, 09:03 PM
Hi Ian,
I took it to Treswell Garage near Retford Nottinghamshire. He is a bit of an expert at these. Apparently he has a special technique for getting into them, I know a little of the detail to understand its a long job. It cost a couple of hundred pounds labour plus the cost of a new lock mechanism (further £100) but at least the door and trim was intact.
You could call him if you dont live too far away, 01777 248394.

autorev
15-08-2007, 11:16 AM
Hi,
I've just experienced this snag and was hoping that there was a solution other than throwing tons of cash at it...

I have almost the identical symptoms on the pax door and was wondering if anyone elsa has overcome this problem?

Autorev

Niall76
15-08-2007, 06:30 PM
hmmmm

I reckon you could get at the rear screw at the top of the door card. Then all that's holding it is the front screw (again at the top).

The door card lifts up to come off so I reckon you could just pop the front screw and you'll have the card off. Then you'll be able to get at the internals and get it open.

That's what I would try anyway before giving in and paying money.....

Peter D
15-08-2007, 07:34 PM
One thing to try is for three people all to lean on the door with the window open and take the pressure off the lock whilst you use the remote or the unlock internal switch or door lever. This can cause the lock to release. Spread the load as you do not want to dent the door so gentle but firm pressure is required. Regards Peter

grahamutting
22-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Had the same problem on the front n/s door of my A6 avant, put it into Audi where they removed the n/s rear door and put a hacksaw blade thru the gap into the front door and cut thru the door lock to open it, then replaced the mechanism by removing door card. £400 plus new lock!