PDA

View Full Version : Key barrel change - Immobiliser problem I Think! Any ideas?

arch_pieman
14-12-2008, 03:38 PM
Hi! I have a 1999 2.5 TDI transporter Lwb 1200.

I have just had to replace the steering column bearing and had to purchase the whole casting from the local dealership. :mad:Whilst trying to drill the ignition barrel out I managed to break the shaft at the end.:zx11:I then purchased a new barrel for the ignition!

Now it is all back and ready to start BUT... I start the motor and it runs for a second or so, and then shuts off. (I think I can hear the relay shutting it off too on the main board). This is shutting down in the same way as my old bmw 525tds immobiliser used to when it sulked!

I did see another post about barrel changing and the user said "I know about the immobiliser by the way"! I don't know I am afraid to say. T4 manuals seem to be like hen's teeth. I have taken one of the old keys apart to look for a chip and it just seems to have a battery and bulb in it. The new keys look like they will not dismantle.

Any ideas anyone?

Kind Regards

zollaf
14-12-2008, 05:02 PM
hi. i think you will have more chance of getting some helpful advice from forum members if you re-word you question slightly. you have used a term when referring to a main dealer that does not bode well here.

arch_pieman
14-12-2008, 09:49 PM
Hi!

Thanks for the reply and your advise.

D is right next to S on the keyboard and I just don't know how the t got in there! I am puzzled that a sub £5 steering bearing requires so many unnecessary part replacements and extra labour. I have been supporting the local dealership by buying genuine VAG discs, pads, rear springs to name but a few bits. I felt it was better to purchase and fit the quality genuine parts and save on labour by doing what I thought was a genuinely simple procedure. I have just been proved wrong.

Needless to say, I apologise without reserve if I have caused offence.

arch_pieman
16-12-2008, 10:49 PM
I have now fixed the problem and hoped that someone out there might gain from my experience.

I have a 1999 V plate T4 transporter 2.5 TDI. I needed to change the steering column bearing. In order to do this you have to buy the whole assembly that contains the bearing. In order to install the assembly you need to either retrieve the old ignition barrel or purchase a new one. If you use the old one you will have to drill a hole in your old housing to push in a retaining clip about 10mm below the lip on the casting where the barrel is pushed in.

If you buy a new barrel and key set, it is likely it will not work as the immobiliser will not recognise the new key. You can either get the van reprogrammed to accept the new key by getting someone to come out to you or buying some expensive kit to do it yourself or get it towed to a garage to do it

OR

do it the cheaper way like I have just done and pop your keys apart and tease out the little black passive chip from the old and new keys and swap them. I guess that I could have just binned the new chips, but thought better of it and kept them just in case (of what... I just don't know)!

As I said... I hope that someone can go striaght to this and find the info they want rather than spending hours on a sunday wasting time on the net like I did!:D

Look after yourselves now!