PDA

View Full Version : Greasing wheel bearings - Copper grease?

mufcr2
14-12-2008, 01:31 PM
Hi

Is it ok to grease wheel bearings with copper grease? I fitted new rear hubs + bearings to my passat a month or two ago, have not used it much since. Found a sachet of Wheel bearing grease today - it seems to be much thicker gooier stuff than the copper grease. Should I be whipping the hubs off and bunging a load of this stuff in?

(1994 passat L 2.0 petrol 8valve)

Cheers
-Derek

zollaf
14-12-2008, 03:09 PM
i dont know what affect copper grease will have on wheel bearings, as i have never tried it. copper grease is an anti seize agent used to prevent corossion, and doesnt really have the lubricating properties of thicker wheel bearing grease. I think your best move would be to thoroughly clean your new bearings using a degreaser, to remove every trace of copper grease, then liberally apply the correct grease, making sure you thoroughly work it into the wheel bearing.

Crasher
14-12-2008, 03:18 PM
No, copper grease is not suitable for wheel bearings, it has the completely wrong characteristics, in fact it could build up on the rollers due to pressure welding of the copper and cause failure of the bearing due to overheating.

Take care when replacing a rear wheel bearing, mistakes can kill!

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/article-1092207/Woman-medical-student-died-crash-driver-bolted-wheel-nuts-tightly.html

mufcr2
14-12-2008, 07:55 PM
Cheers guys

That'll teach me for using the nearest thing.

Oh well, at least its easily rectified.