PDA

View Full Version : Question A3 1.9 Tdi 130 Sport power loss!

Bensthename
13-12-2008, 03:46 PM
Hi guys -
Wondered if anyone can advise me as to why my new A3 Tdi (51 plate) seems to have 'lost' the turbo on a couple of occasions now. It will be going along quite happily until a bit of acceleration is required when suddenly the turbo seems to go to sleep, and it doesn't have the pull anymore. The only remedy is to switch the engine off and on again which seems to do the trick. I've just searched some previous threads and the MAF sensor has been mentioned?? Does the A3 have a MAF sensor??!! And what is a MAF sensor? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Ben.

Crasher
13-12-2008, 03:52 PM
You will have an over boost problem, something a fault code read (can be done at most garages) will probably show as code 17965. This is usually down to the turbo vanes becoming clogged with carbon (especially common I find on cars run on supermarket diesel) and there are three ways to deal with this. A chemical flush treatment that may help, it is roughly 50% successful for me, or remove the turbo to strip and clean or replace it. What engine code is in your car?

Bensthename
13-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Hi Crasher - thanks for the quick reply. I don't know what the engine code is! How do I find out?
I will get the car to the garage next week. I guess the flush through would be the first thing to try, as 'replacing the turbo' sounds costly to me. I've had the car a week. It first lost power as I was driving it home! Gutted! I called the guy I bought it from and he swore it had never happened to him. What luck! It drove so sweet on the test run, and it is in exceptional condition. When it's functioning properly it's an absolute dream to drive!

Crasher
13-12-2008, 04:07 PM
I have sent you an email.