PDA

View Full Version : A3 excessive disc wear

Fazer
22-02-2007, 05:32 PM
My 1st A3, 03 reg, 1.8 had the front discs and pads replaced three times in 3 years that I owned it. My annual mileage was 10-12k pa. This was not accepted under warranty and it turned pretty expensive.

my 2nd A3 1.8 06 reg just over one year and done 12k will now require new discs and pads. I don't believe how unlucky I feel. Is this right?? i'm an average driver, I don't race or brake hard. Anybody else had this problem? Fazer.

S2AVANT
23-02-2007, 01:27 PM
Our A3 Tdi has done 30k without any new discs on the front and one set on the rear.

Froggy
23-02-2007, 03:09 PM
I did over 50K in my old S3 including some fairly hard motoway/autobahn stuff and never had the discs changed.

Have done 54K in the A4 and still on original disks as well.

You don't leave the car unused for long periods? If they are being replaced for wearing out it sounds a bit odd, you or another driver drive with a foot hovering on the brakes. (not wishing to state the obvious or insult anyone)

If they are warped then I would have thought it was a warranty issue?

Fazer
23-02-2007, 05:36 PM
I did over 50K in my old S3 including some fairly hard motoway/autobahn stuff and never had the discs changed.

Have done 54K in the A4 and still on original disks as well.

You don't leave the car unused for long periods? If they are being replaced for wearing out it sounds a bit odd, you or another driver drive with a foot hovering on the brakes. (not wishing to state the obvious or insult anyone)

If they are warped then I would have thought it was a warranty issue?

Hiya Froggy, the car is used everyday... dozen miles to work then back... drive to dundee and lake district several times but thats motorway driving... the driving is regular, no foot hovering on brake... its weird, the service technician at Audi is adamant that the discs and and pads can last anywhere from 8 to 40k ... so tis not warranty work. They dont bind and the calipers arent seized. This'll be my last Audi I gave it a second chance...
Fazer.

S2AVANT
23-02-2007, 05:50 PM
Have you seen the worn out discs that have been removed from your cars?

Fazer
23-02-2007, 06:06 PM
No... but this weekend I'm stripping em down... discs and pads and checking out everything myself and taking precise measurements of the disc thickness... audi tell me that 22mm is min thickness.. also will try and check for DVT but I dont think this is a factor as there is no pulse or anything feed back thru the pedal..

RJS_90q
24-02-2007, 06:36 PM
Our A3 (130 Tdi) covered 60k miles before it required any discs / pads to be changed.

Were the replacement parts genuine Audi ?

One factor could be cleaning the car with a power washer and then leaving it for a period of ime (say, overnight) before driving it. This allows the discs to be covered in a film of water - discs can go rusty very quickly due to this. This would especially tbe he case with an 'open' wheel design.
The rust cleans off quickly in use but I should imagine that it would cause the need for premature replacement.

Just a possibility ?

Hope that this helps,
Bob

chocoboy
26-02-2007, 01:34 PM
My 1.8t is only on its second set of discs at 88k, do them yourself avoid kwikfit ! ha

Steven-John
20-08-2007, 08:25 PM
Hi Frazer

I have a Golf Mk5 and my discs require replacing at 15,000 and I am, likewise, racked off because they are not covered by warranty.

Steven-John