PDA

View Full Version : Please Help urgent help needed

dondon12
13-12-2008, 11:48 AM
HELP NEEDED hi all im new to this site and also new to owning a volkswagen golf .
i had a fault showing on my clocks wich was telling me i needed to change my brake pads and the glowplug light started to flash on and of but the car still drove ok i have now put new brake pads on and the brake pad warning light has gone of but the glowplug light is still flashing and i can only get half throttle now wich is 3 thousand revs my car is a (05) sdi golf please can any one help in any way thats not to exspensive ???

STEWY L
13-12-2008, 12:18 PM
the brake switch,on the pedal,is at fault.
they are about £8-£10 i believe
regards,
stewy.

dondon12
13-12-2008, 12:29 PM
THANXS stewy l.
but is this a big job to change and is ther any way of checking the switch thats on the car ???

STEWY L
13-12-2008, 12:37 PM
it's about half an hour,tops.
it is possible to pull the switch apart and repair,but for the price,it's not worth trying because it doesn't always work.
the switch has two sets of contacts.
one set works the lower brake lights,and the other set works the high level leds but also
sends a signal to the ecu,as it cuts the fuel when the brakes are applied.
you would get the same flashing glow plug light if both lower brake light bulbs had gone,
but not the lack of power i feel.
their may be some more info at the very bottom of this page,in "similar threads"
regards,
stewy.

STEWY L
13-12-2008, 12:40 PM
have just checked similar threads and the word "urgent" has worked against you!!
try a search with brake switch,or glow plug light
stewy.

STEWY L
13-12-2008, 12:42 PM
try this
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1158315

dondon12
13-12-2008, 12:44 PM
hi stewy
all the brake lights are working fine should ther be working ok with this type of fault or should the brake lights not be working ??

STEWY L
13-12-2008, 01:00 PM
i would have thought that the high level would be off to be honest, but as the brake switch
uses the glow plug light as it's fault indicator i must assume the switch is faulty and sending a signal to the ecu when it shouldn't. i don't think the glow plugs use the glowplug light as a fault indicator.

kenney
13-12-2008, 02:55 PM
H I you need a fault code read.There is something wrong with the engine management.

dondon12
13-12-2008, 06:00 PM
H I you need a fault code read.There is something wrong with the engine management.
hi thanks kenny for youre reply but do you no were i can get it plugged in at thts not to exspencive ???

STEWY L
14-12-2008, 10:24 PM
it's only about £30 at an independant,
regards,
stewy.