PDA

View Full Version : 9N Polo 1,4 tdi Heater gremlins

Abbs985uk
13-12-2008, 03:11 AM
Hi guys wondering if you can help. Girlfriend has a 2003 polo 1,4 tdi on which the heater barely blows out any air (cold or hot). The car does have air con which works but again the air flow seems very restricted.

The speed settings on the blower seem to work and adjust the flow rate but it is nowhere near as powerful as it should be.

Im thinking its either the blower unit working its way to failure or some sort of a blockage somewhere. Im hoping to change the pollen filter to see if that improves things.

If it is the bblower, is it a DIY job, where is it located?

PS> The other bizzare thing I noticed is that if the heaters are on (hot or cold) and the car is put into reverse the speed of the air flow actually increased slightly!!

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

thanks

Abbs985uk
14-12-2008, 01:46 AM
Anyone ??? Come on guys someone must have a theory to share on this one!

Silver Rat
17-12-2008, 01:12 PM
Can't help much with the problem but I too have noticed that when I put my car in reverse [1.2 2004 Polo] that the fan increases too!!!!!

Maybe they are all like that??

Fan cleans the screen no problem but as an aside, I have a brand new Vauxhall Agila and it would not clear the screen either even on no 4 fan - the problem was that if the recirculating air button in 'on' the screen does not demist but does if in the 'off' position.

Never had that problem with any other cars but I have tried it a few times in the cold mornings and the above is the solution!

Abbs985uk
17-12-2008, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the reply Silver rat, havent got round to changingthe pollen filter yet but will post any findings as and when

thanks.

vr6mark
21-12-2008, 09:39 PM
I would look at the pollen filter for sure, you would be surprised at how much one can restrict the air flow when they do get clogged, as for the heater speeding up slightly in reverse, that is just bizarre!

Silver Rat
22-12-2008, 12:46 PM
The fan on mine definately increases when you put the car in reverse, yes bizarre does describe it, but why does it do it? Any ideas?

Flash2
24-12-2008, 01:33 PM
When you select reverse gear, the heater opens the recirculation flap so it's not drawing in exhaust fumes while you reverse, that's the reason for the change of the sound of the heater motor. If you press the recirculation switch on the heater control panel you'll notice that same change in the sound.

As for changing the heater motor. You'll need to loosen the little shelf below the glove box and remove the glove box itself. The motor is behind the glove box secured by 3 screws.

Merry xmas.

Jim.

Abbs985uk
25-12-2008, 10:22 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys, all very helpful

Hope you all have a very merry christmas!

Abbs985uk
31-12-2008, 02:15 AM
Just an update, seems the pollen filter had not been changed for at least a couple of years, despite being serviced at VW dealers and them charging for it!

Anyway, blower works as its meant to, thanks for all the replies and suggestions, greatly appreciated.