PDA

View Full Version : Audi Concert Volume problems!!

bungle
22-02-2007, 04:51 PM
Hi,

I have become a victim of the dreaded volume control issue with my '99 Audi Concert head unit.

I have read many forums and understand that this is a common fault due to some memory volume control chip.....la la la...!

It can be fixed for between £80-£100 but there is no guarantee that it wont happen again.

What I wanted to know is if there were any suggestions from anyone for a direct replacement head unit that would be a simple plug and play option. (I am not that technical and dont want to pay a fortune to get it fitted)

I want a decent brand i.e Alpine, Pioneer, Sony, Bose .....whatever, that looks good (prefferably with blue backlight) and will still allow me to use the existing 6 CD changer.

It doesn't need to be too flash, just similarily powerful to the existing Concert and maybe around the £150-£200 mark.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Rob

descarl
22-02-2007, 06:13 PM
Hi Rob

Do a search for "Concert Volume" and read the thread titled "....Volume suddenly very Loud" or something like that anyway. There are details of a company that can fix this issue with a chip replacement and software upgrade. From reading the thread they reckon the fix is permanent as the problem seems to be software dependant and they upgrade the problematic code.

For head unit replacement it's a case of an adapter cable and filler pieces for each side of the radio.

Hope this helps and welcome from a fellow newbie :biglaugh:

Carl

Froggy
23-02-2007, 03:01 PM
Repair details here: http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1842

As descarl said replacement involves a couple of adapter leads and a facia adapter, and you must ensure that the replacement unit has a pre-amp output to run your rear speakers.

karachi_kops
09-08-2007, 02:28 PM
Hi Froggy

Ive got the same problem with my Audi A4 (1999) in that the upon turning the volume knob the sound suddenly jumps to LOUD or Quiet. Its very annoying and on a journey can be quite dangerous!!

Ive noticed that when the car is warm, the volume control works perfectly fine.

If i was to send the unit off to get repaired, how quickly is the turn around of it being fixed and sent back? Is it easy enough to take out?

I also have a problem with my rear speakers not working. Do you think that the head unit is to blame for this as well i have even set the Balance to Rear, no sound is recieved.

Any ideas?

Froggy
09-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Normal turn around is 5-7 working days. You will need some Audi release keys to remove the unit - but it is simple enough with the correct tools. The problem can be heat related sometimes.

Rear speakers are actively driven with a small amplifier located in the rear. That may not be working. We can check that the unit is OK if we repair it for you.

karachi_kops
09-08-2007, 03:10 PM
i take it the stereo removal tool can only be purchased from Audi??

If the head unit is fixed and is ok in terms of powering rear speakers, what would you recommend the best course of action in tackling the rear speakers issue?

00carberry00
10-08-2007, 08:45 PM
i take it the stereo removal tool can only be purchased from Audi??

Hi, stereo removal tool can be purchased from your local motor stores such as halfords or motorworld, or even the old favourite 'ebay'. I paid about a fiver for mine.

ram33
12-08-2007, 10:14 AM
i found that 2 jig saw blades worked quite well