PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got TMC Info working?

johnpen
22-02-2007, 10:37 AM
I've got a 2.0TDi with standard CD sat nav (2007 model) and can't get the car to pick up any TMC info.

I've left the radio tuned to classic FM but no luck, has anyone got this feature to work, also the traffic memo feature never seems to pick anything up.

stuart
24-02-2007, 10:03 PM
Hi

The TMC function will only work if you have a TMC enabled navigation disc. Most "standard" discs will not have this feature enabled, as I found out, a new disc is required.

You can check to see if you have a TMC enabled disc by pressing the INFO button, it should say TMC station, or if you have the radio on, under the station name, it will say TMC: Classic

Stuart

johnpen
26-02-2007, 04:08 PM
When I press info, I get No Information Availible. But I think it must be enabled because when I have the sat nav on, it asks me if I want to keep the current non-tmc radio station, or search for a tmc enabled station (that it never finds!) surely if TMC wasn't enabled I wouldn't give me this option. Also under the radion I have a TMC icon but its not 'lit up'

If it isn't enabled where can I get this disk from anf how much?

Andyuk911
26-02-2007, 05:47 PM
It works great, even tells of slow traffic and nav's around problems.

To note, I have only ever seen msg, under info from LBC 97.3 ...

Richardm
23-03-2007, 01:40 PM
I've got a 2.0TDi with standard CD sat nav (2007 model) and can't get the car to pick up any TMC info.

Are you in a VW or Audi?

If the VW as i am in a Passat and my son in a Golf Mk 5 with sat nav and so called TMC, you should be running on a DVD not CD.

If you as we are unfortunate to be on DVD, well sorry but it is not available as VW are too mean to pay for the disc to be upgraded.

However, if you are on CD then you need to hunt around Tele Atlas who do the discs.

johnpen
23-03-2007, 03:21 PM
It's an A6 TDI,

I've checked my disks and they are all the latest 2007 cd and also mention TMC on it so i guess it's included.

Richardm
23-03-2007, 04:43 PM
If its mentioned and you have the latest cd, then I cannot see a reason why its not working.

It may be that a setting is not quite correct.

I have used the cd version in other manufacturers vehicles for the past 6 years and have had no problems.

Just VW.

ianpegg
12-10-2007, 09:07 AM

I've left the radio tuned to classic FM but no luck, has anyone got this feature to work, also the traffic memo feature never seems to pick anything up.
I cannot get the TMC function to work on my A6 2007, I have the basic CD satnav and whenever this is activated I get a message on the screen keep appearing "Search for TMC" - but if you search for a station it cannot find one. VERY ANNOYING. Have taken the car to Audi Bristol & Bath but they cannot get it to work or stop the stupid message. I contacted Audi direct but they could not help either.

johnpen
12-10-2007, 09:29 AM
You can turn the TMC function off, which will stop the searching I think its under the Navigation setup. I've given up on TMC I think the UK coverage is very poor.

Hillbeley
25-10-2007, 10:40 PM
My 2006 3.2 4motion Passat Estate (nicknamed the Hamster Cage - due to the rattles) with DVD SAT NAV has full TMC functionality in France, but nothing in the UK, I believe the licence theory, but it should be possible to buy an enabled disc from somewhere???

Ben
09-12-2007, 06:04 PM
Hello,

just to add to this thread, I purchased off ebay a mfd2 dvd sat nav and fitted it today:D

I have read many posts on different fora about TMC not working in the UK.

Well when i was coming home on the A45 by the NEC heading towards Coventry, imagine my suprise when my unit advised me that TMC is now active.

Brill.:D It works in the UK for me.

What exactly does it do?

I get the impression that it navigates you around traffic jams.

The following pictures show my units functionality TMC on/off
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb105/golfmk5gttdi/09122007066.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb105/golfmk5gttdi/09122007067.jpg

a8 tech
09-12-2007, 06:57 PM
I cannot get the TMC function to work on my A6 2007, I have the basic CD satnav and whenever this is activated I get a message on the screen keep appearing "Search for TMC" - but if you search for a station it cannot find one. VERY ANNOYING. Have taken the car to Audi Bristol & Bath but they cannot get it to work or stop the stupid message. I contacted Audi direct but they could not help either.Your mmi software needs update
ing so it can enable the sat nav cd rom tmc function.Your sat nav cd rom must end with 4E0 919 884 AF check your mmi software version press and hold SET UP ,RETURN AND RELEASE THIS WILL PROMPT THE MMI TO DISPLAY THE CONTENTS,HIGH LIGHT THE FIRST BOX AND SELECT IT,YOUR LOOKING FOR SW version 2120/2200/2830/2860 if its lower then you need to update

Richardm
10-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Is your system working with a CD or DVD?

This is critical, as with the CD version you should be able to get an updated disc with the TMC codes to enable it to work.

If it is the DVD one, then at the moment there is nothing as VW never paid for these codes to be included.

However, I have heard from a very reliable source, that early 2008 this should be resolved.

Froggy
10-12-2007, 11:07 AM
Hello,

just to add to this thread, I purchased off ebay a mfd2 dvd sat nav and fitted it today:D

I have read many posts on different fora about TMC not working in the UK.

Well when i was coming home on the A45 by the NEC heading towards Coventry, imagine my suprise when my unit advised me that TMC is now active.

Brill.:D It works in the UK for me.

What exactly does it do?

I get the impression that it navigates you around traffic jams.

It will but not in the UK at the moment. The DVD based system does not have UK TMC Codes in built. The codes for the rest of Europe are present, and your hardware is TMC enabled, but the mapping software doesn't exist for UK at the moment.

In theory this may be sorted out in early 2008, although I haven't seen anything official about this.

johnpen
10-12-2007, 11:16 AM
Your mmi software needs update
ing so it can enable the sat nav cd rom tmc function.Your sat nav cd rom must end with 4E0 919 884 AF check your mmi software version press and hold SET UP ,RETURN AND RELEASE THIS WILL PROMPT THE MMI TO DISPLAY THE CONTENTS,HIGH LIGHT THE FIRST BOX AND SELECT IT,YOUR LOOKING FOR SW version 2120/2200/2830/2860 if its lower then you need to update
Would this be covered under warranty or if not what would this set me back?

Richardm
10-12-2007, 01:16 PM
This is not covered under warranty.

We have 2 of these systems from new, and have logged complaints with VW Customer Services, who dont want to know.

My local dealership on the other hand is being helpfull, and is keeping me up to date with what is happening.

Also, it is rumoured that in the first few months of 2008, a new touch screen version will be available and should cost no more than the existing systems.

wheelnut
10-12-2007, 07:29 PM
I guess you must have the MMI systems. TMC works fine on my C5 A6 with the RNS-E DVD satnav. I had the 2007 dvd from Audi a few months ago which enabled TMC. It does depend on wher you are. I find coverage patchy on the M6 around the Lakes and in parts of Scotland, but alright in the civilized south!
Sometimes it does not warn until too late - but all systems are the same. I am sure once it said to me "Caution, queuing traffic in 50 yards"

Richardm
10-12-2007, 08:25 PM
We have the Bluapunkt MFD Systems factory installed.

Audi DVD systems work, but the VW doesnt.

wheelnut
11-12-2007, 08:45 AM
Sorry - I will butt out then! Hope you get it sorted.

Froggy
11-12-2007, 12:26 PM
There seems to be a lot of confusion about TMC at the moment. Perhaps I can clear this up...

Firstly the CURRENT Audi and VW systems are very different. They are made by different manufacturers and use completely different software. The DVD's are NOT interchangeable. There is also the additional problem that the older systems do share some technology.... I will see if I can give you a definitive breakdown...

Early VW and Audi Systems - Without being too technical, if you have the old CD based MFD system with the screen that could be moved towards the driver - one of these;
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1537&stc=1&d=1197367434

Part number ranges are -
B5 A4/S4: 8DO-XXX-XXX
B6 A4/S4: 8E0-XXX-XXX (the shape of the B6 is also applicable to the B7 A4/S4)
C5 A6/S6/RS6/allroad: 4BO-XXX-XXX
D2 A8/S8: 4D0-XXX-XXX

If you currently use a DX Map CD, these units are TMC compatible provided you have a separate TMC tuner fitted (Most cars do...) and a Blaupunkt Travelpilot DX cd with TMC codes (look here Teleatlas Shop Link (http://www.navshop.com/en/product/united-kingdom-ireland-2007-2008-its-blaupunkt-travelpilot-dx-en/6245/101/1) is the current 07/08 version ) The stock nav CD's DO NOT have TMC codes for GB on them. For the rest of Europe they normally do.

The same applies to the almost identical VW based systems that were fitted to, however most VW cars didn't have the TMC tuner fitted... To be honest it's probably not worth buying a TMC box and suitable map disc, as the cost is quite high.

Later Audi Units.

These are often referred to as Navi + or even sometimes MMI units. This is very confusing as the real MMI units are a different beast altogether. They should really be referred to as RNS-E units, there are various versions but they mainly look like this;

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1538&stc=1&d=1197369640
There are loads of variations, but the easy way to tell is that the screen physically moves out of the way and there are 2 SD card slots behind it available for MP3 music replay. These use a DVD based map, from Navteq. I'm not going to claim any credit for knowledge on these units - look here for the guide to everything you could ever want to know http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2
However as far as TMC goes these unit DO work with TMC again provided you have the later DVD. As far as I'm aware you have to get the DVD through Audi, they aren't available from a legitimate third party. The early versions of these units required a TMC software update, that in the UK was provided FOC by Audi UK. My understanding is that this was not done as a recall. But if anyone has the definitive answer to this I will adjust this post to reflect it.

New MMI systems (A5, Q7, A6(4F) and A4(B8) when it arrives)

These again use a DVD based map - in a separate drive normally in the boot. You'll have a controller something like this;
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1539&stc=1&d=1197372063

These are also fully TMC enabled. Again if you have an early vehicle you may need a DVD/software update to enable TMC in the UK.
Again the Navteq based DVD's are only available from Audi.

(On a personal note I would avoid using copied DVD nav disks. They make the drive work much harder, which will reduce it's life)

If this is helpful - I'll do a similar write up for the VW units. Let me know.

Richardm
12-12-2007, 03:43 PM
That makes sense to me.

It may be helpful to others to realis how the VW Blaupukt radio / sat nav differ from the Audi ones. It would be useful for a full explanation if you would be so kind.

This is what i try to explain, but most people think that as Audi and VW are the same group, then so the equipment is the same.

As we have found out that our MFD system is the Blaupunkt type using albeit Tele Atlas mapping, if you contact them they will not supply the dvd as VW have not authgorised them to do it.

Quite simple, as you have explained above, as our systems have the TMC tuner fitted as we have used them in Europe, then it is simply the matter of VW authorising Tele Atlas to put the required codes onto the DVD and it will work.

Hope the new system that is supposed to appear in 2008 includes the new codes or once again everyone will be going to get very upset with them.

Froggy
13-12-2007, 11:56 AM
OK and just as I sort all that out Teleatlas release a DVD with TMC Codes for the UK ....

http://www.navshop.com/en/product/europe-2008-blaupunkt-travelpilot-ex-en/6379/103/1

I despair sometimes...

Still this should work in the DVD based VW systems - so good news. I'll put another thread up to highlight this.

Richardm
13-12-2007, 01:22 PM
That is good news if it will actually work on this MFD system.

We need to make sure this will work with these systems prior to mass announcements and plague VW Customer Services for them to pay for it, just the same as Renault did when they had the same problkem some 4 years ago.

Froggy
13-12-2007, 02:01 PM
Plague VW Customer Services for them to pay for it

Can't see that happening - It's a revised map, with additional functionality built in. VW have never claimed TMC worked in the UK. Now there is a TMC map available, you can upgrade if you want, but no one is forcing you to... just imho.

Richardm
13-12-2007, 02:39 PM
The only reason i shall ask for the cost is that when the vehicle was sold, the actual manual refers to tuning into the sytems for TMC, and does not stae that it is not available in the UK.

It is this statement which is the real niggle, and they have admitted today on the telephone, that they were incorrect in not letting owners know this, and that the information regarding TMC not being available in the UK, was pureley a matter of the licence not being granted.

The best of it all is that their pc system cannot find my previous case issues relating to this from the last 18 months.

They asked how many discs i would like, at one point as we have 2 vehicles running this software.

The local dealership is also on our side as they have been inundated by customers over the last 2 to 3 years about exactly the same issues of being sold a piece of equipment that in the manual states how to tune and use it, but it does not state NOT IN THE UK.

Froggy
14-12-2007, 10:34 AM
Well you maybe right, they may have a contingency for it, which would be nice for the customer. I guess it's watch this space....

Richardm
14-12-2007, 05:24 PM
Well ere we go again, VW Customer Services yesterday said that i should take my car to my dealership, and they would check to see if we can use TMC on the VW RNS-MFD2 that is factory fitted, and if it could then they would update the codes required and the disc.

So go to the dealership, and they said we havent heard of this and would look into it with VW Technical.

Get a telephone call some 3 hours later, and the service manager said that technical says that none of these systems are capable of being updated, so they suggested that VW Customer Services had mis-informed me.

Why is it then that TeleAtlas are showing is compatabilty on their website?

We have requested from them that these systems are or are not compatable and if it is found to be that they are, then my service manager has suggested that i inform customer services of this fact and press for a full refund if we are forced to by the disc, as he agrees that we are being misled under trading standards and that VW would not like any adverse publicity and pay for them.

Will keep you informed as and when we get some feedback from TeleAtlas.

Richardm
18-12-2007, 11:04 AM
Well, we got the car to the dealers and they looked in wonder at what we had requested, as they had not been informed by VW about this.

They said they would contact Technical Services to confirm what they had to carry out and let me know.

later that day they did call, to say that Technical had said that these systems would not be able to work with TMC, and that Customer Services had given the wrong information.

Monday, I talked with TeleAtlas and they said that the model I had given them, as far as they are concerned would work with this new DVD.

To this point, we have purchased a DVD with the understanding that should it not work, then they will take it back for a full refund. This was agreed.

Again, another call to Customer Servicxes who apologised for the information previously given, but as explained that they had also asked Technical for the information, it was felt by them that they also had been let down.

We have told them about the disc, and they have requested that if it does work, then we have to call them again, and we can then talk about payment.

WATCH THIS SPACE.

Richardm
19-12-2007, 04:26 PM
The NEW TeleAtlas DVD disc arrived this moring so we hot footed it out to the car.

Inserted the DVD disc, and after it completely re-flashed the system and loaded the software, went to the system infor and ensured that then second tuner was set for automatic station for TMC.

We attempted to find a route which we had knowledge of having a delay.

This being the M1 round Northamton.

Set the programme in motion and after it loaded the route it announced that it was calculating the route taking into account traffice delays.

If we looked at the TMC messages we watched it climb steadily from 2 to over 32 in a matter of minutes.

On route we did in fact have the system re-route us because of the traffice delays.

Moral of this story;

WE ARE PLEASED TO ANNOUNCE THAT IF YOU HAVE THE MFD2 SYSTEM FITTED FROM 05 MODELS ONWEARDS, THEN THE FOLLOWING DISCS LINK DOES WORK IN THE UK.

http://www.navshop.com/en/product/eu...-en/6379/103/1 (http://www.navshop.com/en/product/europe-2008-blaupunkt-travelpilot-ex-en/6379/103/1)

johnftr
04-01-2008, 11:30 AM
I have a 56 plate 170 2.00 Passat Sport Estae with all the trimmings - inclujding the DVD Sat Nav system which at £1600 is EXPENSIVE.

I too have never managed to get ANY TMC information either. If this is a licene issue then VW ought to feel very small - the cost of th eunit has a very large profit margun attached to it and can easily cover an upgrade in licene / DVD disk.

I also have a battery draining problem if I leave TP enabled.
Even when the car is and radio are switched off it remains active and drains the battery at 0.2 amps rather than ther normal background 0.02 amps (according to VW Assistance who came to fix the car when it refused to start one morning)

Very ANNOYING VW - fix it!

Richardm
04-01-2008, 02:25 PM
My battery failure was due to the trickle drain as you mention.

VW can update the programme that controls this as there was a faulkt in the programme.

As they have sent me a letter confirming that your battery should hold its charge for at least 1 month, then if this is not achieved, then the update should remove the tricklee drain problem.

Woofy
08-01-2008, 05:58 PM
I have a 2007 Passat SEL with DVD navigation/radio system and cannot get the TMC to work. Booked the car into the local VW Garage and the answer that came back was "the TMC feature is not in the UK spec but would work ok in Europe"
I cannot believe the technology is different and certainly the service is available in the UK.
Does anyone know how I can obtain a TMC activated DVD that works in the UK?
Thanks

johnftr
08-01-2008, 06:15 PM
I talked to my dealer who gave me some guff about the satellites not being available in the UK...
This is twaddle as it is a radio signal broadcast by the likes of Classic FM and nothing to do with satellites.

The truth sadly appears to be that the equipment is only too capable of using TMC. The service s free in Europe but in the UK there is a licence required.

VW appear to not to have paid that licence fee (on certain models) and therefore the codes are not available on the DVD we were supplied with.
To be honest this totally sucks and we ought to take VW to task about this.
I will be pushing slowly up the management chain to get it resolved.
Anyone with me?

They clainm that the service is not available in all areas - but it IS available in the UK - they just didn't bother to include it ... their manual and literature are misleading at the very least.

I am also very surprised by the complete lack of knowledge by their dealers about this - especially the sales staff.

Richardm
08-01-2008, 06:24 PM
Go to the Tele Atlas shop and look for their DVD Europe 2008 which is £179.00 and this is suitable for the VW MFD2 systems fitted.

We took one before Christmas and it very quickly obrained the TMC signal from Classic FM which you set up, and when you programme in a destination it warns you of any congestions on route.

Up to date we have not actually taken it via any trafic delays or accidents as much as the trials told us of them. Next week will tell once we are back on the road around London, so will have a better idea then.

http://www.navshop.com/en/category/travelpilot-travelpilot-dx-travelpilot-e-blaupunkt-travelpilot-in-car-built-in-systems-maps-software-for-travelpilot-ex-dvd-en/103/0/0

Try the above link.

Woofy
08-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Thanks chaps, just proves that VW are trying to wriggle out of paying. Clearly there is a solution. The SatNav / Radio option on my car had a list price of £2000 +VAT I will push very hard through my lease car provider to make VW provide the disk free of charge. Other car manufacturers seem to be able to provide this service as standard and on much cheaper sat nav systems!

johnftr
08-01-2008, 07:25 PM
The in-built sat nav systems are very expensive - and they SHOULD INCLUDE the UK codes.

I don't feel that the responsibility is on me to go to another source and buy a replacement DVD. VW should know this anyway already - and have got the infotmation out to their dealerships who trade in their name - AND a remedy in place.

This is a fight that is starting it seems to me.

Woofy
15-01-2008, 04:54 PM
VW have given me this product data. Sounds like a new release. I intend to try this out and will post my findings in due course...

Part Number :- ZGB000051300GB
Description :- Navigation CD 2008 Edition – GB – TMC Enabled
Application :- For the first time:-100% detailed street network for United Kingdom & Ireland including England, Wales, Scotland, Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland
Information :- Door-to-door route guidance in Great Britain, Belfast, Cork and Dublin:- 100% of the population can be reached by selection of house number ranges!
More than 81,300 km of additional road network included on this update.
Detail - Please note the TMC subscription is included in the price
Price - £ 116.33
All Prices Are Inclusive Of Vat

Richardm
15-01-2008, 05:07 PM
Just being cautious, remember there are 2 types of system , the CD and the DVD.

If you have the MFD2 this should be the DVD and so the TMC will work as per the TeleAtlas link above.

I am not sure which vehicles the CD will work in.

Woofy
15-01-2008, 05:34 PM
You make a good point. I assume I have the MFD2 although how I find out I'm not sure. My car is the '08 model' with DVD Sat Nav delivered in August 07. Although the DVD supplied with the car is for use with RNS MFD ?
The fact that VW have suggested a part with CD in the number is worrying.

Richardm
15-01-2008, 05:39 PM
Try going to this link and if your set looks like this, then may we suggest that it is most likeley the MFD2.

http://www.blaupunkt.com/de/7612002020_main.asp

Thius is a DVD system and will not take a CD to operate.

VW Customer Care offered me the same, but as pointed out to them, do they not know the difference between the two? I dont thinkl so.

Your dealership should be able to confirm this?

Woofy
15-01-2008, 05:48 PM
That's the one. I will go back to VW to check they are sending a DVD.
Thanks again.

Redheadpeter
14-02-2008, 05:24 PM
But even if it works - will you find it useful? My 55 plate A6 has the DVD MMI Satnav system with TMC which clearly does something - it tells me it is recalculating the route and shows on the map hatching by the side of the road which is supposed to be congested - and when you get there you blast along it at 70mph! Or there is no hatching and you end up in a 5 mile queue!

Richardm
14-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Thats the same with any system from any manufacturer i am afraid.

However, on my current system it has actually told me of congestion on route and i have continued towards it, and after a short while it has again calculated and changed the route completely to avoid the congestion.

All systems have their little funnies, and no one is absolute in its performance.

By the way, VW Customer Services did pay for my updated DVD in FULL.

Woofy
14-02-2008, 06:06 PM
My VW garage suggested I needed a new disk and quoted the part number (see previous reply) I have questioned that shouldn't this be a DVD? No response, just being ignored. All very frustrating as I feel I have paid for the full service but no yet received it.

Richardm
14-02-2008, 06:27 PM
VW Customer Services suggested that they could send me a cd with the TMC codes for mine, but as you mentioned, i informed them in not very short words, that do they not know what operating discs are required for this system, and they admitted they did not.

Headless chickens have more brains!!!

Local dealers on the other hand, very helpful.

brido
17-02-2008, 01:03 AM
I've got a 55 plate A6 with MMI DVD satnav.....TMC was always crossed out ( & therefore not available ) on the display until I got a set of 2007 satnav DVD discs...

When I inserted the 2007 DVD disc the MMI locks out for about 15 mins while it goes through loads of updates...once it had finished I was able to use the TMC...this is great with DVD satnav as it highlights the congestion on the map display. TMC reception can be a bit patchy though.

Woofy
19-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Thats the same with any system from any manufacturer i am afraid.

However, on my current system it has actually told me of congestion on route and i have continued towards it, and after a short while it has again calculated and changed the route completely to avoid the congestion.

All systems have their little funnies, and no one is absolute in its performance.

By the way, VW Customer Services did pay for my updated DVD in FULL.

Can you tell me which VW Customer Services you contacted ?

Thanks

Richardm
19-02-2008, 06:33 PM
We contacted the main one which I believe is down in Milton Keynes, but if you look on the back of your manuals, it should have the telephone number.

They will also require anything in writing so be prepared.

djTimmy
07-03-2008, 01:41 AM
how can they get away with charging so much for the unit without TMC facility and then ask for more for an update that is just a dvd?

are updates part of warrenty or anything?

i got 57 passat, great car, poor satnav. (dont use its database to go cheddar gorge or you end up in someones garden)

please can someone get dvd up on a newsgroup or similar asap.

also, what are chances of getting garage who sold car to give me free dvd?

cheers

TIMAH

Richardm
07-03-2008, 08:54 AM
If you read the above, you will see what to do and how to go about getting it paid for by VW Customer Services.

Woofy
31-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Finally after just 8 months I now have a fully working Sat Nav with TMC. My VW dealer eventually sent the correct disc and free of charge.
The sad thing is just how little VW know about the technology they supply in their cars. I would like to think they will learn from this exeperience and educate thier staff!
Thanks to all to helped me get there and good luck to those still trying.