PDA

View Full Version : Rear Parcel shelf Subwoofer

sbuk73
11-12-2008, 12:46 AM
:confused:
Bit of a random question so I thought I would put it out there. My A8 is one of the non-BOSE versions so it has the otherwise standard Audio MMI system built in. A few months back when I purchased this car I noticed that the subwoofer was struggling with what seemed to be relatively simple tracks namely from a Nelly Futado CD I had which used to play just fine in my previous A4 which did have BOSE. Anyway to cut a long story short, I took it to Audi and they "Supposedly" replaced my subwoofer for me but said that Nelly CD was still popping the Sub. I was told to go away and test out more music and see how things went ... in all honesty the popping was still happening on various music regardless of source CD, IPOD, RADIO.

So did anyone ever experience this with the standard surface mounted sub ?

I have now had the sub removed totally and had another aftermarket 10" sub unit installed which I can only guess will need its own dedicated amp to get the best out of it as currently it seems very sleepy lol. Curse those BOSE people, they got me used to a different sound and I know I will never get that in this A8, but the sub has let me down.

davidkerr1983
21-06-2010, 09:45 PM
Just a quick little message.
I am having the same problem with my A8 non-Bose system. I am waiting for Audi to replace the Sub at the moment how ever I am now worried that Its not going to help.

Can you tell me what aftermarket sub you fitted? ]
Did you fit it yourself?
Also did fit a seperate Amp for the sub since replacing it.

Thanks

sbuk73
22-06-2010, 12:58 AM
Hi ya, I think people like you and me with the non-bose system cars are in for a painful ride lol. Right so where I am today is that I have now got a dedicated surface mounted DLS 10" sub mounted with the factory one used to be, in all honesty I have it set to run at like 10% of its power as I really dont want my car booming down the road. Anyway, that is now powered by a 4 way FOCAL SOLID 4. I have also changed the front door speakers and tweeters to a set of FOCAL 165VR's. The quality of sound I know get from the front of the car is just amazing - in fact it manages the high frequencies so well just listening to guitars, and anything which hits the frequencies is just WOW! so the front of the car is now 200% better than factory if I can say that.

Now the rear shelf with the sub or in fact any sub, will need some sort of further sound proofing done to it - I don't believe its rigid enough or padded out enough to handle sub signals through it. So even after powering the sub with the Focal amp, if you do decide to turn the sub up the rear shelf with vibrate a little. That said, where I play my sub is just right and nothing seems to vibrate so for now the upgrades have worked well.

And no, I didnt fit them myself - I just drive the thing - its too techi for me lol.

sbuk73
22-06-2010, 01:00 AM
Also - I think why the standard sub is vibrating etc, is not because its broken or anything - on reflection I think that sub should be first tested with a dedicated AMP running through it, if that still proves to not resolve the problem, then bin it and get a better one. I never actually got to test the old sub with an amp - I seemed to end up jumping a step or two and bypassed that test :( so please do test it properly with a better amp source than the factory audi one before you bin it.