PDA

View Full Version : 80/90 Q Maladies (3B)

AdirondackQ
22-02-2007, 01:39 AM
This is just a plea for help with a plethora of maladies.

1) No dash lights, although the fuse is good... :confused:

2) Still no heat after new thermostat & heater core. Is there a definitive way that the thermostat has to be installed vis a vie the direction of the block? I should add that the head of the bleeder valve is sheared off.

3) I got stuck last week, hung up on the frame, and had occasion to have the hood open while trying to free the car and saw the engine lifting on the order of 6" or more as I accelerated; do I need new motor mounts?

4) Interior light won't react to an open door, although it will chime if keys are left inside or lights left on. :(

5)In my '89 80Q I had the heater core burst into the cabin one night when it was (-23) degrees. I drove it four miles while low on anti-freeze and the cabin filled with smoke/steam and now the car smokes terribly from both exhaust and heating vents. Local mechanic says that bearings are shot, recommended engine replacement! :zx11:

6) ABS automatically disengages as soon as I hit 25 mph; if I manually re-engage the ABS, I get a very high, stiff pedal with some nasty vibrations before it finally returns to normal pedal height and stops the vehicle. :1zhelp:

Any help or advice for ANY of these problems will be greatly appreciated. :beerchug:

RJS_90q
22-02-2007, 09:01 PM
Hope that this helps with some of your questions:

Re 1) check the control for adjusting the dash lamp brightness (near the speedo) - maybe some dust has got in here - try moving to a new position

Re 2) There is, but I noticed your previous thread on this in which you said the engine (motor) temperature was now okay. This would suggest that you fitted it correctly (?). I think you need to ensure that the heater control in the cabin is actually opening the flap in the heater unit. Once that is confirmed, turn the heater temperature control to fully on before you fill the coolant into the system - this should minimise the risk of air locks in the heater matrix.

Re 4) Does the light come on when the passenger door is opened ? Does the light come on when you switch it on at the light unit ?

Re 6) Sounds as if one of the ABS speed sensors (there is one in each wheel hub) might not be providing a signal / the correct level of signal. Audi sell plastic mouldings (should be relatively inexpensive) that clip onto the top of each speed sensor to assist in positioning them correctly within the hub.

Hope that this helps,
Bob