PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Painting parking Sensors

Green Giant
10-12-2008, 09:04 PM
Help, Is there anyone who has painted and fitted the VW aftermarket reversing sensor kit? I bought an unused one second hand but I am unsure whether I can paint the whole of the sensor or just the surround. The instructions say the supplied “rings” must be fitted before painting and then removed, but I don’t know if the “rings” are like “O” seals or “discs”. The “rings” weren’t supplied in my sensor kit so I don’t know what they masked when the painting is done. The local main dealer says when they fit the aftermarket kits, they only paint the surround and leave the whole centre sensor black. I think this is going to look tatty. I have looked at loads of parked VW’s (sad isn’t it) but haven’t yet seen what appears to be an aftermarket fitment, let alone one with the sensor centres black. The excellent postings to date don’t go into the details of what and what not to paint. Any suggestions are welcome.:confused:

Flash2
10-12-2008, 11:37 PM
Hello Giant. No, you can paint the whole sensor.
If you look at the sensors you will see that the centre part is separated from the outer housing by a thin rubber ring. You shouldn't get paint on that rubber part because it stops the sensor from vibrating freely.
The plastic rings that are supplied with the kit fit over that thin rubber ring to mask it and stop paint from getting on it.
I have fitted a set of painted sensors that didn't have the rubber ring masked and they were a bit erratic. I managed to break the paint of the rubber using a tooth pick and they worked OK after that. Some of the paint came off the centre too though and I had to touch it up again.

Regards - Jim.

Green Giant
11-12-2008, 04:33 PM
Jim, brilliant! Thanks very much for a well informed reply. I now know more of how the sensors work as well! Now where is that paint spray....… Reg ;)