PDA

View Full Version : new car and needs help ???

Gogsys A4
22-02-2007, 01:35 AM
Hi everyone.

I am brand new on tonight.

I have only owned my 2001 audi 2.0 SE for a month and have a few questions i was hoping you guys could help me with.

Here goes.
1, I have read in my service book that a ( 4 - cylinder 2.0 ltr petrol ) only require a timing belt at ( 180,000 km's ) 115,000 miles, Is that right ?

2, I believe my thermostat to be stuck open as the engine just doesnt get anywere near normal running temp and heater not much better than warm, Is it a bad job to change ?

3, There is a squeaking, i believe is coming from the alternator belt automatic tensioner, Is this a commen fault ?

4, As soon as i start the engine the electric cooling fan comes on, Is this normal or have i a faulty sensor.

I think that is about it for now.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Bye for now, Gogs.

Ps my car has done 91,000 miles

Huweth
22-02-2007, 02:01 AM
1. Not sure about your Audi, but 4 years or 40k miles is considered the norm for a lot of VAG cars. 115k seems rediculously high. At 91k and 6 years I would expect at least one belt change, probably two.
2. I think there is a waxstat that should only open when the car reaches full temp. Don't know about changing them though.
3. Don't know.
4. Don't know if it's normal, but if not that could be a cause of low operating temp. A low operating temp would explain only getting warm air from the heater.

I'm sure some Audi nuts will put you straight...
Good luck!

aaaa4aaaa
22-02-2007, 06:14 AM
In South Africa the cambelt change interval is 180 000 kms. I recently bought a 2001 2.0 A4 and had the same worries. I was assured by several ********hips that it is the norm. However I am concerned as will have to pay for damages and not them. (Although they said they've never seen a broken one before 180k)

Im sending mine for a change now 145000kms. Dealers quoted R 9000-00 (GBP700-00). I found a Audi expert willing to do a full service, Cam change, "fan"belt change(Including tensioners etc for both), waterpump change and the normal stuff for R 3500-00 (270)!!!!

As for the temp problems, no idea except that I've noticed some people solve overheating problems with "hard" wiring the fan...Engines are designed to work at a certain temp and running too cold or too hot causes extra friction etc etc. Have it checked asap.

Cheers

Gogsys A4
22-02-2007, 06:24 PM
Cheers lads.
The timing belt is rediculously high.
Never heard of any other engine that goes that far ( they must be very confident ).
If it did fail and damaged the engine then surely audi would be at fault.
There is no mention of a belt change in the service book and so i was going to change it.
Normally i would change it about 40-60,000 miles.
The waxstat or thermostat i would say is def stuck on and i think i must have a faulty temp sender either in the rad or thermo housing.
I will have to get the toolbox out and investigate.
I thought they might have been commen faults, thought my suspicions could have been confirmed.

Cheers men for the feedback.
Gogs.