PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Depth Question...?

Pimped-Passat
10-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Does anyone know what the standard tread depth is on a NEW tyre..?

I am sure it is usually 8mm but I have just bought 4 new Michelin Premacy's and the depth is 7mm...?

Does the depth vary from brand to brand..?

If so, and ideas why..?

Cheers
Mark

Paul Jay
10-12-2008, 01:45 PM
Hi Mark

How are you? Long time no see!

I think new tyres are usually 7mm but those supplied from the factory are often 8mm. Don't know why, but there is bound to be some marketing behind it!

Cheers

Paul

audipersempre
10-12-2008, 02:20 PM
I checked my Avon ZZ3's when I got them at the weekend and they were 8mm just.

zollaf
10-12-2008, 07:47 PM
is it just me or did tyres years ago have a lot more tread , more like 12mm.

discobarry
10-12-2008, 09:26 PM
8mm or 7mm it depends on the manufacturer, btw always replace your tyres at around 3mm as from this point and below you really lose out on performance.

Buzz_B6
01-01-2009, 02:56 PM
I think it varies between manfacturers. Worth noting though that my last michelins primacy tyres were only 7mm, and lasted 18k on the front, whereas the toyos were 8mm i think and lasted 12k. So i shouldn't worry too much.
What i wonder, is how hard some people must be driving to only get 9 or 10k from tyres?
i dont even let mine reach the tread wear indicator before binning them. I'm probably changing at 2-2.5mm

Primo1000
09-01-2009, 01:43 PM
I think it varies between manfacturers. Worth noting though that my last michelins primacy tyres were only 7mm, and lasted 18k on the front, whereas the toyos were 8mm i think and lasted 12k. So i shouldn't worry too much.
What i wonder, is how hard some people must be driving to only get 9 or 10k from tyres?
i dont even let mine reach the tread wear indicator before binning them. I'm probably changing at 2-2.5mm

I think alot of it is to do with the sort of driving you are doing. Motorway cruising is less aggressive on the tyres so you'll get alot more miles. If you're doing stop start town driving it kills them, especially if it's a soft compound.