PDA

View Full Version : Cruise control dead

andrewaudi
21-02-2007, 11:59 PM
Hello All,

Just a quick post for some help regarding the Cruise Control on my 2.3 94 cab. It does nothing, the switch is completely useless, can anyone point me in the right direction to test where it might have gone wrong?

I recently bought the car (it's full of fun problems like this), so I have no idea if this model is even supposed to have it or not.

Any ideas to start would be greatly appreciated, as I have no idea. I should also mention the car's current abs kicking in early problems and the speedo being waaaaay out.

Thanks for any help!

Col
22-02-2007, 07:07 PM
First of all, have you checked the fuse ?

Secondly, most problems with cruise are associated with the clutch pedal switch assuming yours is a manual.

Thirdly, as an older car you probably have a vacuum actuated system and a split pipe may be the culpret.

Fourthly, and as you have suggested, does it actually have cruise? A previous owner may have simply put a cruise stalk on it? Can you not take off the cowls where the cruise stalk is (assuming it is a stalk) and check to see if it is actually wired up?

....which leads me on...

If you do want cruise, I have for sale a retro-fittable cruise made by a company called conrad anderson, check out their website.

andrewaudi
22-02-2007, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the info. I checked the fuse first (and to be honest, what I hoped the problem was, a fuse is easy to fix), and couldn't find any duff ones. I had a look under the steering cowls when i took the speedo out to investigate it's "waaaay offness", and I couldn't tell 100%, but it looked wired up, but I'm no auto electrician.

I took the car down to an Audi garage to investigate the whining, which they reckon is the diff, so I asked about the ABS and the Cruise Control, they say it might be related, but he thought the electrics for the ABS were all fine.

The clutch and break pedal switches make sense. I will check when I get a chance. Just a couple of questions, where are the switches going to be, are they going to be way up there, or not too far north of the pedal itself?
Second, assuming it's the pipe, where is best to look? Will the pipe just run near the injection system, or is it going to be a further run?

Thanks again for the help! :-D

Col
22-02-2007, 09:54 PM
The switches should be above the pedals somewhere...

As for the pipe(s), you will probably have a multitude of them under the bonnet.

Also and not mentioned before, it could be the vacuum module itself.

I can only assume it would be a vacuum actuated system by the way.

andrewaudi
10-04-2007, 10:21 PM
Just thought i'd post a quick note to say that after much searching, it was down to the pipe which ran from the pump, through the wall, to the pedals. The other pipes looked fine, so i cut the bad pipe, got a stretch of windscreen pipe from Halfords and stuck it in there, it is spot on now!

Col
10-04-2007, 11:07 PM
Glad you sorted it.

Is this connected with your other problem ?

They seem spookily similar.

andrewaudi
11-04-2007, 07:48 AM
I don't think they are connected, the cruise control has a separate vacuum system altogether, plus the servo is on the opposite side of the wall from where the tube went in.