PDA

View Full Version : Question How hard can it be?

salmonpole
09-12-2008, 04:25 PM
Seat Alhambra 1.9Tdi 2001.

I do need to replace a head lamp bulb (front near side).
I don't need a bill for a half hours labour from my local dealer.
I do need some guidance on how easy it is.
I don't have an extensive array of tools (or expertise).

Any advice out there?

Thanks.................

zollaf
09-12-2008, 05:16 PM
just read another thread from a chap with an a6. he purchased a new bulb from halfords, and they charged him a fiver to fit it.

salmonpole
10-12-2008, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the reply.
I managed to get the air box off and get at the bulb with my bike spanners!
All I need to do now is go back to "my local dealer" and get the right bulb.:mad:

I checked the post re the A6. I will be going to Halfords when the offiside one goes.

robbiedonkey
17-03-2009, 04:26 PM
if you take it to halfords ,they will try to charge you a tenner per light.that is until you tell them what motor you have got and then they say "can't do it as it needs tools,sorry mate".i know from personal experience.trust me its not hard to do the bulbs just fiddly you don't even need to take out the air box,just lift out the sliding panel,and flick off the the retainer clip and hey presto your in and then in reverse.good luck.:biglaugh:

cliffdi
02-04-2009, 10:45 AM
It's actually not hard to do, but is difficult to describe. You definitely need a socket set with a long socket extension and a Torx bit (at least on my 03 Alhambra). Basically there are four screws for each headlamp. Two at the top which are easy (mine has plastic covers over them that have to be popped off first) and two more (one on either side at the bottom front of the headlamp) that are a bit of an art to get to. The headlamp won't budge until you loosen the two bottom screws, so don't force it coz you'll probaby break a lug and have to buy a whole new headlamp. You also have to unscrew the torx screws across the front grille and take out the plastic grille fascias (again on my 03 Alhambra - don't know about the 01 model).That makes it possible to get to the inner front edge of the headlamps to loosen the inner screw. You need a long socket wrench extension with a torx screw socket bit (can't remember the size but it's the same at the torx screws above the headlamp). Just loosen the bottom inner screw - don't take it out. Once that screw is a little loose, you can start to move the headlamp out a bit to get some room to get to the outer side screw. Again, loosen that one a little (just a turn or two) and the whole headlamp will then slide out. Refitting is just the reverse of the above. As I said, easy to do once you've been shown the sequence. Good luck.