PDA

View Full Version : Weird Gear Problems

garybuk
09-12-2008, 09:51 AM
Just got my A4 back from the garage, complete new airbag system for the drivers side and boot arm trim and a good clean too!

I came across a new problem when driving it home, stopped at the light, went into Neutral and put handbrake on like i always do.

Set off as normal, change to first, everything fine, second gear and the engine is revving a bit much..... third .... fourth and the engine is revving like mad and you get that lovely 'clutch smell' i looked at the digital display and it said i was in 1st but the actual gear stick was in 4th!!!!!!!!

I tried to change and nothing... had to put it in neutral and let off the clutch and then put it back in 3rd and let off the clutch and it had engaged the gear as normal, drove okay then but i'm a bit weary of it now....

Any one else had this ??? :1zhelp:

kelvinbishop
09-12-2008, 01:08 PM
Just for information. On the manual car the selected gear indication is derived from engine revs versus road speed (you can check this by slowing down in neutral and noting that the indicator shows you are changing down) so the funny gear indication is just a symptom of the clutch slip causing the revs to rise.

I know this doesn't help solve the problem but i gets rid of one red herring

Best of luck

garybuk
09-12-2008, 01:23 PM
Just for information. On the manual car the selected gear indication is derived from engine revs versus road speed (you can check this by slowing down in neutral and noting that the indicator shows you are changing down) so the funny gear indication is just a symptom of the clutch slip causing the revs to rise.

I know this doesn't help solve the problem but i gets rid of one red herring

Best of luck

ahh good thinking batman cheers for that, i assumed it used microswitches or something.

euroslap
09-12-2008, 01:57 PM
On a car this new I'd take it back to the dealer straight away. There's no way you should be having clutch failure on a car less than a year old so nip it at the bud before the problem gets worse.