PDA

View Full Version : tyres, what do you get for your money?

alan1572
08-12-2008, 04:27 PM
The reason i ask is that i normally get buget (ahhem, the cheapest) tyres, i would expect to get a quieter ride but will i get more miles? I can get 2 tyres fitted for £130 or pay £140 for 1, will it last longer if driven the same?

discobarry
08-12-2008, 10:13 PM
It greatly varies on the make of tyre you buy but generally you get longetivity, grip in the wet or dry or both! better stopping power in general driving conditions(ie:not the snow :D) and peace of mind that the tyre will perform when you need it to.

alan1572
08-12-2008, 10:24 PM
Longetivity you say... just depends on by how much, i'm stuggling to spend 3 times more for something that may last 1 1/2 times as long, i suppose i know it will be a better ride, but still. I just wish i wasn't so tight.

weir_scoob
05-04-2009, 07:30 PM
the way i see it is you get what you pay for.Some cheap tyres are really bad in terms of grip and milage.try sum tyre websites to see what would be best for you.if you think about it the only thing that connects you to the road is your tyres so dnt be tight when buying.

JohnWithAGolf
07-04-2009, 06:51 PM
Can I suggest meeting in the middle? Avoid the premium 6 manufacturers (Goodyear, Dunlop, Michelin, Continental, Bridgestone & Pirelli), but also avoid the real cheapies like the asian brands with names you've never heard of.

Why not try brands like Falken (the FK452 is raved about) they're made in Japan by the company that used to own Dunlop. Or try Fulda/Toyo/Yokohama. You'll get the benefits of tyres that have been properly design but without paying the premium.

alan1572
07-04-2009, 08:20 PM
i do like being in the middle

danclyon
07-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Can I suggest meeting in the middle? Avoid the premium 6 manufacturers (Goodyear, Dunlop, Michelin, Continental, Bridgestone & Pirelli), but also avoid the real cheapies like the asian brands with names you've never heard of.

Why not try brands like Falken (the FK452 is raved about) they're made in Japan by the company that used to own Dunlop. Or try Fulda/Toyo/Yokohama. You'll get the benefits of tyres that have been properly design but without paying the premium.

I'm going to try Falken FK452 next time to replace the Dunlop SP Sport 9090's that were on mine ex the factory....they are at 52l miles now and have another 10k or so on them - so have lasted well - will be interested to see how the FAlkens perform!

D.

zollaf
08-04-2009, 12:38 PM
ive got a new pair of avon zv5s on the front of my coupe. they grip really well in both the dry and wet. not sure how long they will last though, time will tell. on my discovery i have a set of coopers. these are stunning tyres, so far lasted 30k, and not even half worn yet. the grip is fantastic in all conditions. if their car tyres are anything like these, they would have to be worth a try.

peteo
10-04-2009, 11:16 AM
I've always had good experiences with Barum Bravuris. They are made by Continental in the Czech republic and are cheap to mid range in price. I get them from Tyre Shopper (on line and they have a wide range of all makes). My local VW dealer stocks these as well so it is probably some sort of recommendation.

In saying that, I am not a quick driver particularly and I do a relatively low mileage. I would probably opt for something a bit more up market otherwise.

Marc1
10-04-2009, 10:47 PM
I'm currently running Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics and they are great. I chose these due to overall great reviews and a lot of feedback from Audi A4 / RS 4 drivers, in terms of good wet and dry grip and a decent wear level for a premium brand performance tyre. I paid £580 for 4 in 235/40/18, which is quite dear but you get what you pay for. Obviously they are cheaper for smaller sizes.

I've previously run Continental Contract Sport 2. WHich were also fantastic but wore relatively quickly.

I've also had a budget set of tyres (can't remember the brand - but deamed to be acceptable) and these were dire. Poor grip in the dry, lethal in the wet. Wear rate is better than premium performance, but then the harder compound tyres always will be. You just have to decide what you are willing to sacrific more.

I have a friend who swears by Yokohama tyres, which seem to be around a £100 each (probably get a deal on more than one). Seem to wear well so far too.

I'd steer clear of budget altogether from a saftety and enjoyablily point of view, and make your decision based on your driving style, type of journeys (motorway driving is always going to see better wear rates) and what is your highest to lowest priority, then pick one that suits based on some reviews.

Just my opinion of course! Good luck with your choice. :beerchug:

gman3.0
16-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Im currently running on continental sport contact 3's there good for grip both wet and dry but they dont last long, about 11,000 miles.
My mate has a Cupra R and he has vredestein sessanta's there really good, they last about 15,000 miles and there only £90 a corner compared to conti's at £130 !
Guess what im fitting in the next couple of weeks !:approve:

Marc1
16-04-2009, 11:44 PM
I've heard good things about the vredestein's too, and this is from A4 and RS 4 owners comparible to Goodyear Asymmetrics I believe. Think there's around a £110 in 235/40/18's though.

M4N1
20-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Marangoni's are up and coming in the VW hatchback world, between budget and mid range id say.

I currently have Dunlop Sports on my A4 Avant, and I really wanted to hate them when I brought the car but to be honest they are quite good.

Toyo's are excellent mid range tyres, well worth the money.

Corb2000
20-04-2009, 12:44 PM
I've also had good experiences with Toyo's on a number of cars, including Golf GTIs and MX5s, but am about to kit my A4 cabrio with Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas as I've read really good reviews for them and for the 235/40/18 size they are about 15% less than Goodyear F1s, (best supply only price Elite - http://www.elitedirect.com/tyres.php best fitted price Mytyres - http://www.mytyres.co.uk/All-Season_Tyres.html ).

gman3.0
20-04-2009, 03:01 PM
Ive heard mixed reviews on marangoni's, they dont seem too bad for the money, but at £80 each i think i'd go with the vredestein which are only £10 more !