PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Brake lights problem

ollie_joe
07-12-2008, 06:09 PM
My brake light replacement warning came on the other day. So purchased a new bulb and proceeded to replace the bulb on the right hand side.

However the problem remains.
I then decided to disconnect the casement which stores the rear light bulbs (sorry not sure what this unit is called) and swapped with the working left hand side casement.

The brake light still showed no life. I have concluded that there must be a problem the part which houses the bulbs, pehaps a faulty connection. Not sure how it has come about but. Please can someone let me know what this grey looking box is called so that i maypurchase a replacement. Also if anyone know how to reconnect the interior boot lights then that would be a massive help to. As they seem to have been disconnected.

Thanks

Ollie

Crasher
07-12-2008, 06:34 PM
Probably a faulty brake light switch, what year is the car?

ollie_joe
07-12-2008, 09:32 PM
Thanks
year of the car is 2001
is the switch the object that contains the bulbs?
I replaced the hazard switch not too long ago so i presume its a similar type of setup?

Crasher
07-12-2008, 11:54 PM
No, the switch is above the brake pedal. They are a very common failure.

ollie_joe
11-12-2008, 08:21 PM
Itis just one of the brake light (left) which is faulty not both. Doesn't a faulty switch affect both lights?

Crasher
12-12-2008, 12:05 AM
Yes it would, I missed that detail. What year is the A3?

ollie_joe
28-01-2009, 03:31 PM
its a 2001/2002 A3. Sorry for the late reply had some other issues to deal with regarding my ECM light.

still having the intermittent problem with the brake light. Sprayed some electrical spray over the light connections in the light box and that seemed to do the trick for about a week or so.

Problem is less frequent now, but still crops up from time to time and am concerned it will fail MOT.

Crasher
28-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Have you tried a new bulb?

ollie_joe
28-01-2009, 04:37 PM
Yes have tried a new bulb and no joy.

Do you know if it is possible to get hold of a new light box? as i think that is where the problem lies.

Crasher
28-01-2009, 05:05 PM
The bulb holder for a 2001 A3 is 8L0 945 257 A for either side and costs £13.

ed'sA3-1.8THK
29-01-2009, 03:24 AM
take 5 minutes and use light to inspect brake pedal/brake light switch (try to look w/o removing knee panel)

if switch is "black" colour it is (1) of (3) earlier revisions - if switch is "green casing" (or possibly "blue casing") you already have latest part revision - elec contacts have been burning away and/or welding together on all earlier switch revisions

check also (3) main earth/ground points (1) small & large threaded studs under battery - (2) under right side instrument cluster on inside firewall threaded stud - (3) rear of car (fuel pump & light & cd player/sound system threaded stud

clean all brass earth/ground rings/lugs & chassis surface - do not over tighten nut(s)

finally, have you diy / added back-up alarm & connected to reverse lights circuit and accidently shorted to stop light circuit?

factory internal service bulletin instructs all audi service depots/dept's to clean the (3) main earth points when cars brought in for routine servicing AND to replace cabling under battery if serious corrosion is found...

ollie_joe
29-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Many thanks

will order today hopefully that will fix the problem.

Will let you know.

Cheers

Ollie

Porcorosso
02-02-2009, 03:23 PM
There are a number of instances of the rear light board failing in older cars. Your A3 is a 90s design and its possible the actual board has failed. I've had this happen on a Ford and a Fiat that i have previously owned.

Perhaps this is what has happened to yours.

ollie_joe
02-02-2009, 09:50 PM
Replaced the light casing over the weekend. Problem has gone away for the time being, even managed to pass the MOT. So pleased for know.

Thanks for all your helpful comments.

Now just need to get the boot light working again ...