PDA

View Full Version : Doing my head in!

Leo
21-02-2007, 02:34 PM
Hi all! Need help with (hopefully) a simple problem...just done the 'INS 01' service on my '99 tdi Sharan but can't get the service indicator to reset. There's a bit in the owners' manual to reset the indicator following an oil service, (that doesn't work properly either, it failed to mention pressing 'MF1' and taking the key out of the ignition), but having tried this procedure this time it still leaves the indication in the window, and disables the odometer. So, anybody got any ideas, or will I have to eat humble pie and take it to a dealer?
Other than this, it's a bloody good motor. It's in for the MOT next week so I'm hoing it passes ok.
Cheers,
Leo.

andy e
21-02-2007, 10:40 PM
try this,with ignition switched off press & hold trip meter button (next to temp gauge).then switch ignition on & wait until dashes appear in display, (still holding button in) ---- is what should appear , then turn ignition off & release button it should now be reset

Leo
23-02-2007, 09:54 PM
Hi Andy, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, the procedure you quoted is the same as in my VW owners manual and I can't get any joy from that. It just leaves the 'service' text in the window, and renders the odometer useless. I'll have to try the VeeDub garage I guess.
On the bright side, it sailed through the mot yesterday, so it all balances out!
Thanks a mill,
Leo.

Fourbears
26-02-2007, 03:08 AM
Leo, I used to have the same problem with mine. As I remember, the manual was not quite correct and I had to press the reset button, turn the ignition on until it showed the dashes, turn the ignition off and then back on whilst still holding the button down. It took what seemed like an age until it reset. Hope this helps.

Fourbears
26-02-2007, 03:11 AM
I see you're in Norwich. If that doesn't work, try NVWC on Jupiter Road. I always find them quite helpful as you know who on Heigham St will charge £15 min to do it!

Leo
26-02-2007, 02:20 PM
Thanks for that. I'll try both and let you know how I get on. Like you said, no way I'm taking it to Heigham Street! Might as well hand over my wallet and ask them to give it back when they're finished!

Leo
12-03-2007, 01:49 PM
Tried the procedure with the ignition etc, but no joy. I guess I'll pay a visit to NVWC!

Leo
13-03-2007, 02:11 PM
Just been to NVWC and they couldn't fix the problem. Said it could possibly be a faulty digital unit, but I can't see that as the MF buttons bring their displays up fine. So...if anyone else out there has any ideas as to how I can get the dashes and the word 'service' off the panel, I'd be grateful - and relieved! Otherwise it's bite the bullet and take the car to the VeeDub garage!
Cheers,
Leo

Sam
13-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Do you know anyone with VAG-COM - it's a five minute job if that.

Leo
13-03-2007, 09:50 PM
Hi, thanks for that. Yep, the guys at NVWC plugged the VAG-COM in and still couldn't remove the dashes/service indicator. They also said there are no faults showing, that's when they concluded that it might be a faulty instrument cluster.
I live in hope....
Leo