PDA

View Full Version : asr abs lights

sjcelliot
04-12-2008, 11:11 PM
i am new to this forum and having a problem with ma car. 2001 golf gti 1.8t asr and abs lights come on when stoped. switching ignition off slightly when driving keeps lights off til i stop again then they come back on. only just started this week. any ideas?

Crasher
05-12-2008, 12:19 AM
A fault code read will tell you what is wrong but that is an odd symptom.

sjcelliot
05-12-2008, 09:59 AM
take it i need to put it in a garage to get a code read?

Eshrules
05-12-2008, 10:25 AM
take it i need to put it in a garage to get a code read?

or purchase a scanner/vagcom or find someone who's got a copy of vagcom/scanner nearby to you :)

Fill out your location field on your profile so we can try and help you

sjcelliot
05-12-2008, 10:41 AM
location field filled out.

problem started on a very cold morning up here had hoped it may be related to weather but its a slightly warmer now , still below freezing tho

Eshrules
05-12-2008, 01:13 PM
location field filled out.

problem started on a very cold morning up here had hoped it may be related to weather but its a slightly warmer now , still below freezing tho

if it's just a basic scanner you need to see what fault codes you have and if nobody nearby can help out, I can lend you one for a short while :)

sjcelliot
05-12-2008, 01:38 PM
i am not entirely sure wot it is i need to get to read the error codes

Eshrules
05-12-2008, 01:45 PM
i am not entirely sure wot it is i need to get to read the error codes

you'll need a fault code reader (like the one I've offered to lend you) or a copy of vagcom, with a vagcom (or compatible) lead, along with a laptop.

it's really very simply once you get into it.

sjcelliot
05-12-2008, 02:09 PM
I appreciate you offer of loan of the code reader.

i have the laptop side of things covered but how do i get the vag software and compatible leads so i dont have to trouble you

Hex69
05-12-2008, 02:20 PM
You need a special lead that plugs into the laptop and then into the car's diagnostic port.

Eshrules-Enterprises can supply you one of these for ~£15, and then you need to go to Ross Tech and get hold of a copy of VAGCOM software (this is available as a basic shareware or a more functional version for $99).

You can then read the faults on the vehicle, and if you reprt back here, I'm sure someone will be able to tell you want they mean.

HTH, Hex :D

sjcelliot
05-12-2008, 02:25 PM
i think thats wot i will do then. cheers

sjcelliot
11-01-2009, 05:03 PM
solved the problem. it was broken a badly repaired cable to the abs sensor at o/s/f wheel. cable had been re joined but tape come off joint:biglaugh: fixed it properly now no probs