PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Pedal Knackered - Cost ?

JezzaL
04-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Driving along today when clutch stuck down. Pulled over and managed to pull it back up, but nothing there when pushed back in.

Took it to garage and they said clutch pedal had snapped. They still have it waiting for part but couldnt give me a Price as yet. Anyone any ideas how much these cost. ?? Checked a couple of other threads, seems to be a common fault.

kite
04-12-2008, 08:51 PM
It is common, happens with TT too.
New pedal is around £20.
See if the garage will weld up your broken pedal for you to keep as a spare.

JezzaL
04-12-2008, 09:44 PM
cheers for response kite, will wait and see what they say tommorow. If its £20 +labour, at lot less than i 1st thought.

SEMKY
07-12-2008, 07:55 PM
How Bizarre, Mine has just done the exact same thing this evening. Had to abandon the car for the evening, and got a huge exam tomorrow am, bloody typical! 20 quid would be nice!

euroslap
07-12-2008, 08:14 PM
The ammount of times this happens there really ought to be a recall on this type of clutch pedal. It's happened to one of my mates with a Leon Cupra and another two with A3's and I've seen this problem come up on here God knows how many times. :mad:

Crasher
07-12-2008, 09:14 PM
If they did a recall can you imagine how many cars that would cover? It would be all Golf 4, A3 97 to 03, TT 99 to 06, Octavia 1, Leon 1, Toledo 2, literally millions of cars. A recall of that magnitude would finish VAG off in one go.

euroslap
07-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Hmmm, I suppose you're right there. On the other hand and I know this is well out there but they could have revised the sh?tely designed ones during production so that they don't actually break under normal driving, crazy I know! :o

Crasher
08-12-2008, 12:00 AM
They are only a real problem for failing on the six speed models which have a much heavier clutch pedal pressure, which also breaks the pedal.

JezzaL
08-12-2008, 09:02 AM
How Bizarre, Mine has just done the exact same thing this evening. Had to abandon the car for the evening, and got a huge exam tomorrow am, bloody typical! 20 quid would be nice!

£136 mate. £90 labour at my garage. I probably could have done this myself given time. Exactly same fault, mechanic showed me the piece that had snapped off.

SEMKY
11-12-2008, 11:42 AM
I would normally be doing it myself too, but am working away from home, and tools so have had to bite the bullet and use a garage I have no knowledge of...which is always a worry. They have told me that the clutch master cylinder pushrod bent too, and started leaking.....SO they have quoted me 300 quid odd. :(
I have asked for the old bits back, but they have had the car since monday now, and still not ready! :confused:

Oh well, we shall see!

Crasher
11-12-2008, 02:19 PM
When the pedal breaks, it bends the pushrod. It can be straightened but often the M/C fails a few weeks later and then the garage gets the customer on the phone whinging “it has done it again” as the symptoms feel the same so we all change the M/C as customer whinging is too much to bear.

SEMKY
11-12-2008, 07:22 PM
When the pedal breaks, it bends the pushrod. It can be straightened but often the M/C fails a few weeks later and then the garage gets the customer on the phone whinging “it has done it again” as the symptoms feel the same so we all change the M/C as customer whinging is too much to bear.

Well there you go....learning all the time! Never doubted these chaps when they said it had bent....they lent me a car for the weekend too, so happy days.

lee172
12-03-2009, 08:02 PM
my clutch has started squeaking when i use it. could this be a sign of it about to snap?

Crasher
12-03-2009, 09:29 PM
More likely to be the master cylinder failing.