PDA

View Full Version : Audi S6 "daylights"

ryang80085
20-02-2007, 06:45 PM
HI there,
now i do not actually own an audi, but i have purchased a set of the daylights (led lights) that this model accomodates, and i am tryin to custom modify them to fit into my front bumper.
after purchasing these lights,with no wiring diagram, the only form of wire labelling is marked 1,2 and 3 on the clip that clicks into the back of the foglight, of which 3 wires come out.
Does anybody know what each one of these wires are for, i would imagine 1 is for positive and 1 is for earth, but cant think of what the 3rd is for??
please help, and no im not a chav before andy one asks,lol
thanks
ryan http://www.audi-forums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

AJO
21-02-2007, 01:38 PM
i imagine the third will go to ignition? as they come on with the ignition?

where did you get these... ive been looking for a while.... AJ

ryang80085
21-02-2007, 06:31 PM
i got these directly from audi.
i rung up audi today, and they said i would need to do a continuity test with the 3 wires to see which one is what, but how do i do this?
i have a volt meter but dont know where to start??

johnpen
22-02-2007, 10:34 AM
How much were they?

AJO
22-02-2007, 11:14 AM
yup... price from audi please.....

just check them up against your car battery mate... they are LEDs so will only work one way... and wont do any damage either..

Eshrules
22-02-2007, 02:37 PM
any chance of a pic also? im a bit confused as to how these look and wondering if i could get a similar item for my golf...

AJO
22-02-2007, 02:38 PM
http://stb.msn.com/i/E1/1C458E7F74FC9FB439467AA1E16D2.jpg

Eshrules
22-02-2007, 04:31 PM
http://stb.msn.com/i/E1/1C458E7F74FC9FB439467AA1E16D2.jpg

i take it these are just LEDs then? why did you have to get official audi? and not just an LED strip? or is it to do with the fitment of them into your grill

AJO
01-03-2007, 06:00 PM
Any info anyone?

safsrs6
08-04-2008, 11:11 PM
i got these directly from audi.
i rung up audi today, and they said i would need to do a continuity test with the 3 wires to see which one is what, but how do i do this?
i have a volt meter but dont know where to start??

hi mate did u manage to sort out which pin was what on the s6 lights?

gtiller
12-04-2008, 03:06 PM
I am really tempted to do a mod to my A6 S-Line fron end.

The DRLs are available here:

https://sslrelay.com/s74326199.oneandoneshop.co.uk/sess/utn;jsessionid=154800c16a5890b/shopdata/0040_Aladdin=27s+cave/product_details.shopscript?article=0010_Audi%2BS6% 2BLED%2BDRL%3D27s%2B%3D28S6DRLkit%3D29

Akash
14-04-2008, 07:54 AM
I've been seriously looking into the LED mod - I just think it looks so good!
But on top of this, I am used to my lights always being on as I did with my previous 5 Volvo's - they call it the Daylight running lights

As a substitution, I'm considering these LED lights

The link you posted has also been on the Germany Ebay sites (who send abroad) but they have specified over and over again that it will not fit the A6 S-line unless you do a fair bit of modifiction to the bumper. I dont know how true this is but let me know if you do buy! :)

I ended up getting a pair of LED lights on a strip that you can bend etc and being led, its waterproof.

My thoughts are to remove the front headlight housing, and carefully drop these leds into the headlamps itself, shape it and stick it down.

How much if this is a possibility who knows - my idea is to shape them like the A5/S5/new A4

Failing this, then I could just put them in the existing grill and leave them like the link you gave me - only I would just have to carefully stick them on without showing that I have LEDs stuck on! Another possibility done a few times

I'm just very confused on the wiring though

I dont have DRL by default so I'm unsure on how to wire these up. I dont want these replacing the fogs - I dont mind replacing the useless sidelights however

gtiller
14-04-2008, 06:14 PM
Akash, I take it you have a 2005 MY Audi?

There is a mod you can do in VAG-Com to enable DRLs (Daytime Running Ligts)
This means you can switch the DRLs on or off in the MMI - I have done this, and it works fine.

See here http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/Audi_A6_%284F%29_Central_Electronics

09 cent. elect.
coding - 07

0xxxx?x: Daytime Running Lights

0 = w/o Daytime Running Lights
1 = with Daytime Running Lights (not selectable via MMI)
2 = with Daytime Running Lights (selectable via MMI)
For example, mine started at 0011101 and I changed it to 0011121

Also, here are some posts from another forum - I haven't had opportunity to play with this bit yet:

S6 LEDs on with headlights instructions (for US models)
Posted by: Scott Evil on 2008-02-21 18:19:28
Account #: 9503

Hopefully this will answer any further questions on how to make the change. Assuming people STFA.
What you need: VAGCOM, with HEX-USB+CAN (or HEX-COM+CAN) interface--preferably purchased from Ross Tech. Their product works very well and their service is top notch.
Directions: Connect the HEXCOM and turn on the S6, but do not start the engine. I also like to shut off everything in the car before making any changes.
Select Central Electronics 09
Select Coding 07
In the Software Coding box, change the last digit (rightmost) to a 1 (it should be set to 3 from the factory).
Click Do It!
Switch off the car, then restart the motor and check your lights.
You're done. I did this on a car a couple hours ago and the LEDs stay lit with parking lights, headlights, or high beams on. The LED's glow is dimmer when the lights are on.
If you are in Central Ohio I can perform the change for you, in exchange for a pint or two of Guinness.
Thanks to the post below for helping me sort out this change.
http://forums.audiworld.com/c6a6/msgs/42844.phtml

The S6 LED Solution
Posted by: oregonbob123 on 2008-02-12 14:17:17
Account #: 87954

Problem: S6 LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL) not on when headlights turned on.
Solution: Use VAG COM to change coding in the 09 Central Electrics module to ROW (rest of world). I did not see the service tech do the work so cannot offer any further details. Service Manager said is was quite simple to do and any Audi dealer should be able to do it. Service Manager also said this is not approved by AOA so is dealer discretionary.
Result: If headlights are turned off and DRL box is checked in MMI, LED's are on full brightness. If headlights or high beams are on (regardless of whether DRL box is checked or not), LED's are on with reduced brightness.
Interesting other change: If front fog lights are on and high beams are activated, fogs stay on (vs. turning off during high beam use).
Thanks to Eric S. for helping me with this change. It was his tech that first discovered the "feature". I printed Eric's post, gave it to my Service Manager when my car was in for an MMI update and he and the tech figured it out.
http://forums.audiworld.com/c6a6/msgs/41125.phtml

Akash
14-04-2008, 09:04 PM
gtiller thats a big help - thanks for that!

Car's going in next week to get a few bits and bobs fixed so I won't bother hooking it up or attaching the lights till I get it back

Pretty new to the vagcom scene, though I've managed to enable a few things here and there, never did understand the 0x00 part of it but I think your post just made it a lot more meaningful - again something I'll notice when doing it.

Where aer you located?

Slinetugga
27-04-2008, 03:04 PM
Hello All!!!!:biglaugh:
I'm just would like to know how is are these LEDS fit on a ultrasport S line Bumper from a 2004 car as I'm really looking to get them for my car.:confused::confused:A
many thanks

squinty
29-04-2008, 10:40 AM
check out this website

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3490540

i looked on here and thought it looked good i am now working on my own pair. i am taking photos thru some of the stages so once i am finished i will be able to advise on how and where things go. in the link he has wired them directly into his side lights, now with UK LAW someone mainly a police officer is likely to pull you for having fog lights on even if they are classified as DRL (day run lights) therefore i have bought a second hand audi light switch with the fog light option and im going to wire it into there, therefore i can turn them on or off when i please.

the LED's i got from ebay, on a =search for 10mm pre wired LED's think i paid about £10 including postade for 20 bulbs, had to buy some glue about £5 some sealant about £8 some electrical wire, in 2 colours for positive and negative £3 all in and finaly a fused eraly should have been £6 but i got one on the cheap. so overall about an initial lay out of £32 and im fitting them myself so there is no pay out for labour.

hope this can be of helkp, and i will get some photos up soon.

Akash
04-05-2008, 08:20 AM
Well just as an update... I got mine fitted :-)

Basically, bought a HID conversion kit of ebay and after lots of "yes its legal" questions/answers, I got the fitter to put them in for me.

The HID's itself took about 2 hours in total as we were testing every few mins to ensure it worked... problem is that with the lack of space, you dont want to put everything together only to find there's an error or something...

Phase 1 was drivers side...all went well...closed up but left the airbox out.
Phase 2 was passenger side ... again the HID went in fine, aligned fine etc etc though the power steering bracket had to be bent in (not a problem) to have access.

On the drivers side, the HID box sat nicely on the engine mount but passenger was a bit more difficult trying to hide it from a dealership:> End the end, we covered it with black tape and stuck it under one of the pipes using cable ties.

VERY nicely done and def noticable in the amount of brightness especially when compared to Audi's standard halogen which lets face it.. you might as well not have on given how bad they are!

Last night, I could actually see the road but I was biting nails as I wasnt sure if they were "too" bright and illegal!
They are 6000k however.

OK now the more interesting part for this thread ... I got the ftter to put in the LED strip lights. We tried to get them in the headlights like the R8 but it was just too tight and the bulbs may have given off too much heat to the strip lights.

In the end, we fed the drivers side one into the bumper and up. We took a bit of the cabling apart for the side lights and tied it in with that... worked first time though the ebay strip light cabling is very poor/thin so it took a few attempts to tighten it enough to stay on!

The passenger side was another story!
As the compressor was on the other side, there was just no way to get the cabling in and up. We tried for about 20mins not wanting to remove the bumper and in the end decided we would just feed it through the bumper behind the "rivets" (it's an sline bumper) and bring it up towards the drivers side.
This then was tied in with the already joined drivers side strip led.

So now we have drivers side side lights feeding power to both passenger and driver sside LED strips.

Quality is "ok" though I might look around for better LEDS now that the wiring is already there - would be a case of simply cutting it off and joining the new wire of the new lights.
The LEDs have more of a bluey affect though it's supposed to be "xenon white".

I'll take some pics tonight when it gets dark and let you guys know.

As for sticking them down, at the moment, simply selotape is used but I will be buying either some glue (forgot the name but apparently is ok for car paint) or double sided tape (the more likely tool!)

I'm going to have a go at the daylight vagcom mod now and see how that goes as at the moment, the LEDS are always on when the sidelights and/or the main lights are on

gtiller
04-05-2008, 08:30 AM
Akash - don't do this to us!!!

... you can't make a post like that without pics :biglaugh:

Akash
04-05-2008, 09:01 AM
I know I know!

What I will do is do one in the daytime (in a few mins)
and then one at night

I've just been out to clean up the LEDS beacuse the guy had initially just wraped them up in tape
"selfmade" double sided tape did the trick but def needs something stronger to hold it in place

Also enabled the daytime running lights though I was expecting only the sidelights to be on when the option was selected (and sidelights would then include the LED strips) but instead, the main, side and LEDs turn on

Akash
04-05-2008, 08:51 PM
Ok, I do photography as a hobby so to say I'm ashamed at these pictures is putting it midly... unfortuntly, I have misplaced the SLR battery - searched everywhere as I had an important party last night too but these phone pictures will have to do.

To be honest, they do not do it any justice, the lights really do look fantastic. Ignore the sagging one on the left, they've just been stuck with tape until I get the proper stuff to hold them up.

I've just come from work and going there was fine, kept them on but coming back I left all the lights off as I was a bit nervous having them on! They have a slight blue tint but more importantly, they are just above the fog lights. I am waiting for proper word in what constitutes as being a "fog light" and whether it is the height that is the major factor. If it is, then these may be classed as fogs and in which case, I will probably remove them.

May pop down to the police station tomorrow and get some advice!

Here they are anyway

BTW: I had to reformat the pictures to be 400x400 but if anyone wants bigger, let me know. Stuck a big one up on imageshack anyway:

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/5033/04052008048ds4.jpg

gtiller
05-05-2008, 09:26 PM
Thanks for going to the trouble of posting - they look good.

As I understand it, from a legality perspective it's no prblem, other Audi wouldn't have been able to fit the DRLs on the current generation of S6.

... now I am even more tempted to do the mod!

:beerchug:

Akash
05-05-2008, 11:12 PM
They still make me smile!

As for legality, I still cannot get a straight answer. I even popped down to the local station but they had no one available to check!

The reason for thinking about all this is yes the S6 has them, but look at where they are located
http://www.fourtitude.com/news/uploads/Features/062__scaled_600_006.jpg

They replace the fogs...the S6 in conjunction with the LED strips does away with the fogs.
that is my main concern that mine are between the fogs/headlamps which could mean they are seen as fogs.

Having said that, 3 police cars went past me, and I even stopped to let a walking one go to his car (he was in the middle of the road) ... he looked at the car twice then walked on.

The A6/R8 all have them as sidelights within the headlamp enclosure so they could be easily dismissed as being sidelights

Let me know how you get on... I'm in the mean time finding out the whole legality and also if I can get whiter ones...these are slightly on the blue side from what I can see and its REALLY turning heads.

I went through about 10 towns today and yesterday to/from work, and even my friend in the passenger seat mentioned how everyone keeps turning to have a look

masonj
06-05-2008, 06:26 PM
Thanks for going to the trouble of posting - they look good.

As I understand it, from a legality perspective it's no prblem, other Audi wouldn't have been able to fit the DRLs on the current generation of S6.

... now I am even more tempted to do the mod!

:beerchug:

My boss's other half has an S6 and has been stopped by the police because of his factory fitted DRL's. The plod was convinced that they were not leagle as they are under the bumper. However, they must be OK as Audi would not have gained type approval for the car.

Akash
06-05-2008, 06:34 PM
My boss's other half has an S6 and has been stopped by the police because of his factory fitted DRL's. The plod was convinced that they were not leagle as they are under the bumper. However, they must be OK as Audi would not have gained type approval for the car.

Ah! Are the S6 lights DRL?? I though they were only fog replacements unlike the R8/A5 which ARE DRL but are situated within the headlamp cluster so they are ok but if the S6 ones are indeed used as daylight lights then I'll be fine!

I just wish I could have the damn things stick.... used tape, came off, used pritstick pads which are "permanent" but just noticed they've fallen off too

Akash
08-05-2008, 10:47 PM
ok well decided to keep the LEDs for now but accessible to remove if it is deemed illegal - I have been told it is not though

The HID kit is going though - its illegal due to the fact I have no auto-levelling and also when on, the radio signal dies
Just not worth it given its a 30k car still with 2.5 yrs standard warranty left on it!

gtiller
09-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Thats a shame - the HIDs looked really stunning.

I don't know of anyone that has been stopped for having after-market HIDs, maybe you are being a little too cautious?

Akash
09-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Yeah I think I am and I'm still in talks with the seller at the moment.

To date, the problems are:
No good place to put the ballasts. the driverside is on a piece of the chassis / bar in the engine bay.
The passenger on one f the pipes though not sure what its for!

The radio interference is so bad that good stations with strong signal - lets say radio 1 which is nationwide goes bad and lower signal stations which are perfectly usable, vanish completly when the HIDs are on.

The other issue is warranty - do I break the warranty having them installed? I have 2.5 yrs left, and two big ballasts in view when you open te bonnet. Fair enough its just bulbs I've changed in theory but also added two boxes to power them.

Lastly, the law ... the led's are enough to catch their attention and if they find the hids are illegal as a result of the LEDs then I;ve had it

Akash
17-05-2008, 01:19 PM
well got the hids removed today - real shape and the car looks a bit ugly with the yellow bulbs in :(

I am looking at another place who claim their hids prevent interference on the radio so lets see!

We tried a harness today, a different ballast - one that was only 11mm thick with ignitors, we moved them to another place, left them hanging outside... nothing would solve the radio interference

Akash
05-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Just a quick update, I bought some original xenons from Germany (Audi A6 genuine ones) and fit them in over the last few days

No radio interference at all and things look much better!

In the mean time, one of the LED strips I fitted started to flicker so I am now in the middle of re-wiring them once the rain stops!

I did have a look at the S6 LED ones but they don't fit in my s-line bumper unless I do some cutting of the grill area so these strips will be the best solution for me

also tried to see if i can arrange individual leds within the headlight housing but this was very difficult especially on the xenon ones

gtiller
06-07-2008, 09:26 AM
Hey Akash - thanks for the heads up!

Sounds like you have had a real nightmare with your lights - hope everything is working now though!

Which ones did you go for - Bi-Xenon or Single Xenon?
Is there any one worth looking at on eBay?

I am still torn between two options:

Do I source Xenons from eBay (probably Germany), then get an S6 bumper so I can fit the LED DRLs (both of the little air intake grills and one of my spotlights are smashed anyway from a stone/debris getting flicked up)
Or do I wait for the new style Xenons that have the integrated LED DRLs when the A6 facelift comes along in a couple of months.

Akash
07-07-2008, 11:01 PM
Well, Getting the baseball bat ready to smash the lights up! Got the xenons fitted but they don't autolevel, drivers side points down, passenger middle/up. I was illuminating the top of a double decker bus earlier on and that was while being right up its backside!

Beam doesnt work either...bulb warnings every x mins... arghhhhhh

I dont know, I would probably go for option 1 in your case if you have the patience to get it working. Remember mine are from ebay germany but geniune Audi OEM xenons. The main issue I am having is understanding the concept of these two extra wires that need to be connected to what the Germans call a "headlight controller" or "control unit"

I have no idea what and where this is and so I can't get it working properly. The fitting itself I could now do with my eyes closed and the only frustrating part is a hidden bolt in the bumper to remove it which you need an audi tool (cost me £7 from Audi) and small hands

Once thats off, the headlamp bolts come off and it's easy to bolt on the new lamps.

It's what happens after that's the problem - in my case, these two wires from the halogen>xenon adapter (the standard halogen adapter does not fit which I found out after fitting the lights in!)

I could probably help you out if you went for option 1 too

As for option 2, my only worry about that was if the fitting was different so I didn't want to risk it. Atleast this way, its genuine and oem for this current shape/model so its ok.

LED: I would love to have the S6 ones in but I'm not cutting up the bumper. Already snapped off more clips than I would have liked to.
Mind you, all the clips broken are from the halogen and xenon adapter/cable so atleast it's not all over at random places!

The other thing with the S6 is, would you not need the daylight led module too? I'm sure I read that it came with 3 wires - in my case, I dont have the module and it's just wired to the sidelights