PDA

View Full Version : Question Wing mirror replacement

blackps
03-12-2008, 05:39 PM
Could anyone please give me any details on removing & replacing a wing mirror on a golf mk5. The wife decided to lose hers yesterday!

Thanks in advance?

Flash2
05-12-2008, 07:23 PM
If the whole mirror is gone you will need to buy a mirror assembly and the mirror cap which will probably need to be painted. I'm not sure if the glass comes with the mirror assembly so check when your buying it. (You'll find the paint code on the sticker under the boot carpet)
You need to remove the door interior trim panel and the little trim up at the mirror. Unplug the mirror wiring from the electric window motor and undo the nuts securing the mirror assembly to the door. Pull the mirror off and draw the wiring through the hole in the door. Fit the new mirror in reverse order to that. The cap just clips on as does the glass, but you'll need to connect two little wire to the back of the glass. They supply power to the heater element.
Quite a simple job...good luck!

Regards - Jim.

bruceyboy
22-11-2010, 12:07 PM
Jim,

That is a really useful post thanks. Some idiot completely ripped my driver side mirror off and I need a new one and I'm wondering at the moment whether to fit myself or take it to the local garage.

I just wanted to clarify one thing - does the whole of the interior door trim have to come office or just the little bit in the corner the other side of the mirror. if it is the whole of the interior, how easy is that to get on and off?

Many thanks ina dvance.

Bruce

Flash2
22-11-2010, 11:23 PM
Hi Bruce.

You need to remove the complete door trim + the little one up at the mirror.
If you fancy having a go yourself, here is how to proceed :-

You didn't say which mirror was damaged, but I'll assume it's the near side (passenger side). The O/S trim is a little different around the handle area.

To remove the door trim, you first pry off the trim at the interior handle. That's the handle you pull to close the door, not the chrome one you use to open it.
Under that trim there is two T30 torx screws that you need to remove.
Next, remove the three T25 screws along the bottom edge of the trim.
The last screw to remove is a T20 on the forward edge of the trim near the top.

Now that all the screws are out, you need to pry the panel off the door. I'd use a plastic trim removal tool, but you can use a flat blade screw driver if that's all you have. A screw driver might mark the paint, but it'll be behind the trim.
Insert your trim tool/screw driver between the trim and the door. Start at the bottom rear corner. Pry the trim off the door a little and look in the gap. You should be able to see the clip securing that part of the panel.
Move the trim tool next to the clip and pry the panel off the door and the clip should release. I usually find that once one clip has released, I can use my fingers to release the rest, but using the trim tool is OK too.
Start working your way along the bottom of the trim towards the forward edge, releasing each clip as you go. Continue up the forward edge then up the rear edge.
When all the clips are released, put the window down and grip the top edge of the trim and lift it out of the window channel. Be careful not to pull the panel too far off the door at this point because it's still attached by the wiring loom and the door lock bowden cable.
To release the bowden cable for the chrome handle, pull the cable outer rearward and unhook the cable end from the handle.
The wiring loom is relesed from the door control unit (window motor) by lifting the pink leaver. There is a little clip you need to press before it will move. It will become clear when you see it.

Now that the main trim is out of the way, you should see a T20 screw holding the mirror cover trim on. remove that and pry the trim off.
You'll now see the three T30 screws securing the mirror assembly, but before removing those, disconnect the mirror wiring from the door control unit. Slide the little red locking device out towards you, then press the button on the connector and pull it off.
You can now remove the screws securing the mirror to the door and lift it off and pull the wiring out through the hole in the door.

Reassemble in the reverse order. Just make sure the hole where the mirror mounts is sealed and there is no damage to the door or water will get in.
Also check that all the door panel clips are on the door panel. Sometimes one or two don't release and stay in the door. It that happens, you'll need to remove them and refit them to the panel before refitting it.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words...well it seems your getting both, Bruce. I just came across a diagram of the door trim. If only I had found it before I typed that lot in. Image attached below.

Anyway, good luck with the repair. Let us know how you get on.

Regards.

Jim.

Jim,

That is a really useful post thanks. Some idiot completely ripped my driver side mirror off and I need a new one and I'm wondering at the moment whether to fit myself or take it to the local garage.

I just wanted to clarify one thing - does the whole of the interior door trim have to come office or just the little bit in the corner the other side of the mirror. if it is the whole of the interior, how easy is that to get on and off?

Many thanks ina dvance.

Bruce

bruceyboy
23-11-2010, 09:59 AM
Jim,

THanks so much for such a comprehensive explantation. Going to give it a go once i've ordered the new mirror assembly off the web.

many thanks,

Bruce

NeilMorey
25-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Based on experience of having to do this a couple of months ago, *£$%+! vandals, I'd suggest using bluetack when undoing and doing up the torx bolts that hold the mirror on.

The bolts are accessed through a hole large enough for a socket but not big enough to get your fingers in to grab the loose bolt, I now have one rattling about inside the door which I can't get to without removing the door skin!

bruceyboy
25-11-2010, 03:10 PM
Neil,

Thanks for the tip - much appreciated!

Bruce