PDA

View Full Version : Please Help what decision would you make? Audi A4 2.0 TDI or VW Passat 2.0 TDI

satshah123
03-12-2008, 04:09 AM
Hi!

I'm looking for some help/advice/direction.

I have approximately 7k budget for a car - but am having trouble making a decision.

From the title you can see that I have 2 cars in mind, an A4 2.0 TDI or a Passat 2.0 TDI.

Having looked around I, for the A4 at that price the best thing I can find is one with 70k miles, 55 plate, FSH. For a Passat at the same price you might get a 55/06 plate with maybe 10/15k less miles.

Do you think for my budget I'd be getting value or am I not looking in the right places?

Also I have nothing for P/X and dont really want finance as an option - cash only!

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

euroslap
03-12-2008, 08:32 AM
I'd go for the Audi, just be patient and find a nicely specced one with a comprehensive service history and you should be good. ;)

satshah123
03-12-2008, 09:17 AM
thanks for that - one more q to add...

Audi's around that milage (70k) are looking to get a cambelt change correct? So should i really be pushing for one that has had the work done??? or the fact it is a diesel means longer intervals between changes?

thanks

euroslap
03-12-2008, 09:24 AM
I'm not 100% on the Diesel intervals but if they're the same as the petrol it should have already been done at 60,000.

dod1e
03-12-2008, 01:42 PM
2.0 TDIs are 80k or 4 years for the change, whichever is 1st, so you'll be doing well to find one up for sale at that age which has been done, as would be surprised if many would put it through the cange before selling it. Most will want to swap it before the change and hope people dont notice.

See if you can use it as a bargaining chip......

CMcK
03-12-2008, 01:55 PM
How important is interior space and the size of the boot? The Passat wins hands down there.

satshah123
04-12-2008, 02:21 AM
interior space and boot are not on the top of my priority list - more the ride, comfort and handling - no kids/family to lug around at the moment :o

paul b
04-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Go for the Audi!

If you like comfortable cars, don't get the S-Line, with the 18" alloys and a typically harder Audi suspension. Go for an SE instead. And vice-versa. ;)

Even on my TDI, I stick to 60k or 4 years for the timing belt interval as is the general rule in the industry. Have a good look around, I'm sure you'll find some that have had the work done. Unfortunately, many are leased or company cars, so they may have skimped on the timing belt and the services.

Paul

sooty
19-12-2008, 03:42 AM
I would say that if you do a lot of milage then go for the Passat as you will be able to find a newer lower milage one than the A4. However if you are not worried about that then I would go for the A4.

I have a Passat Highline and although you get things link heated leather seats ETC it lacks basic things like front fog lights that are standard on most A4's.

Also I think that the VW Passat does not have the same "status" as the Audi A4

andy8442
19-12-2008, 03:37 PM
Go for the VW. You'll get more for your money, spec and space. If you are looking for the badge, Audi's particulary A4's, are getting abit of a reputation! So beware. Unless you were a BMW driver.......Whatever they are both quality cars, just make sure the belts been changed.

RickT
19-12-2008, 04:12 PM
I would look at getting a top end spec Passat... or a decent A4..

After driving both i would go for the Audi.. purley due to the status and nicer in tocuh drive..

If its spec and vaule you money... the Passat is the winner.... if you want to stand out a bit more... go for the Audi..

Best bet... get out there doing some test drives..

Rick

Eshrules
19-12-2008, 04:19 PM
like for like, if I had £7k to spend, I'd be getting a nice highline passat 130, a gorgeous mile muncher and a lot of car for your money.

Audi's have an artificial price premium, much like the VW golf, when IMHO, the passat is a superior car. You've also got the benefit of not looking like every other rep on the road LOL.

sooty
19-12-2008, 04:51 PM
Go for the VW. You'll get more for your money, spec and space. If you are looking for the badge, Audi's particulary A4's, are getting abit of a reputation! So beware. Unless you were a BMW driver.......Whatever they are both quality cars, just make sure the belts been changed.

Ha ha its Top Gear giving the Audi drivers a bad name... I went from a 5 Series to a Passat and to be honest I prefer my Passat!

hongkongstuey
19-12-2008, 05:50 PM
with myself having an older passat, i'd obviously be biased towards a passat as il ooked at both when looking for a new car, the a4's werent as high spec for the money and in my opinion every rep and his dog has an a4 and i wanted to be a bit different, there were millions of a4's when i was looking but all were high mile part serviced with dents everywhere. there were quite a few very well looked after passats when i was after mine but chanced across mine 10 miles from home.

sooty
21-12-2008, 02:34 AM
I just been looking on Autotrader and I cant find a really nice A4 for 7k with a half decent amount of milage on the clock... There are loads of top end Passat's for that price though.

I think what Rick suggested would be the best though, go for some test drives and have a feel of what you prefer

satshah123
26-12-2008, 04:21 PM
thx for all the help so far guys - lets keep it comming as im still yet to make a decision - the passat looks tempting as the audis have really high milage but lets see what happens.