PDA

View Full Version : Low oil warning

markp306
02-12-2008, 12:38 AM
On 2 or 3 occaisions now our 2.0 TDI (approx 1800 miles) has stalled whilst reversing off the drive from cold. The stall has been immediately preceeded by a low oil warning on the DIS. (This has happened for both myself and my wife, so clearly we are both still getting used to the clutch pedal! :Blush2:). We are sure the warning seemed to happen first.

However, the oil level itself has been checked by the local Audi dealer and is fine, although they did kindly add a topup from their own supplies for good measure, so I wonder if this is a fault or just a bit of electronics 'confusion' as it happened again yesterday.

Has anyone else seen this? Maybe I should have the car plugged into the "tell-all" fault computer thing?

awtaylor
02-12-2008, 12:53 PM
Happened to me for the first time yesterday - put it down to computer confusion. Would expect the car to let me know subsequently if there were problems with fluid levels.

a8 tech
02-12-2008, 12:58 PM
the oil warning low pressure light comes on because the engine has stalled i would recommend you allow the car to idle slightly longer in cold ambient conditions so therefore this would be considered as a operator error lol if your gearbox is multitronic then there are some adptions to prevent cold start stalling but again allow for the engine to warm up as the egr is kicking in and the gearbox oil also needs to warm up a bit.

andyrp
02-12-2008, 09:36 PM
Not had this in my B8 A4 but a Fiat Stilo I had a few years ago would give the same error. Immediately before the engined stalled I would get a low oil pressure warning on the display plus a couple of other warnings.

a8 tech
02-12-2008, 11:37 PM
fiat f fiat your banned get off the forum lol

andyrp
02-12-2008, 11:43 PM
I did wonder wether I should admit it in the forum! Thats why I confirmed I now drive a B8 A4; I beg that my past sins are forgiven.

Andy

moptisam2
03-12-2008, 09:36 AM
I had this problem a few times with my 2005 B7, called breakdown service out, he said oil level OK.

In the end the garage did something to the sender unit in the engine and stopped the problem.

a8 tech
04-12-2008, 12:14 AM
I did wonder wether I should admit it in the forum! Thats why I confirmed I now drive a B8 A4; I beg that my past sins are forgiven.

Andy
granted :biglaugh:

Jimmeney
23-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Hi, I had this happen a few times - each time i checked the oil, and eventually went to my local Audi garage who confirmed oil levels were fine and after looking at the car for an hour or so, said it was electronic confusion and they wouldn't get to the bottom of it.

It's a B8 2.0 TDI 143 S-Line, now on about 8,100 miles, and it's telling me it needs servicing in 1,000 miles - someone i know got the exact same spec, albeit in avant, and with 8,600 on the clock, no warnings of an imprending service required!

I'm wondering whether the computer thinking it had low oil levels means it'll be telling the car to get serviced earlier than necessary.

awtaylor
23-03-2009, 03:35 PM
Is your car coming up to a year old? Perhaps your car was programmed for an annual rather than long-life service schedule. I am not expecting a service until 18-19,000 miles or 2 years.

Jimmeney
23-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Hi, no it was delivered the end of september '08.

martin@wolfy
23-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Can anyone confirm how you check the oil level. I have followed the manual i.e run engine until warm, let vehicle stand for a couple of minutes then check oil.
Only thing is the oil check won't work without the ignition being on, i assume you have the ignition on but without the engine running. Sorry if i am being a bit dumb, just not had a car without a dipstick before other than the driver.

wolfy!!!!

2.7 S-line
23-03-2009, 04:55 PM
Can anyone confirm how you check the oil level. I have followed the manual i.e run engine until warm, let vehicle stand for a couple of minutes then check oil.
Only thing is the oil check won't work without the ignition being on, i assume you have the ignition on but without the engine running. Sorry if i am being a bit dumb, just not had a car without a dipstick before other than the driver.

wolfy!!!!

that's pretty much how you do it -

just make sure you are on level ground -

also if you do top up with oil it wont read the level again until you've covered some miles ( not sure how many ) which is a bit frustrating as you don't know if you put in enough/too much straight away

Audi Happy
23-03-2009, 04:58 PM
Had this 3 or 4 times ( i dont know about anyone else but i seem to stall this car more than any other i've had :Blush2:) like you i just thought it was a confused computer.