PDA

View Full Version : HELP ! Emissions Workshop !!

vwmally
01-12-2008, 09:32 PM
Whole new clutch assembly = £800, new throttle valve body = £190, now the engine management lights on. Checked the fuse it's OK, no loss of power, no smoke, drives as normal, this car is really starting to p##s (p#@s) me off, tell me again why I bought a Golf, can anyone please help :1zhelp:

paul.mgrath
02-12-2008, 05:00 PM
Mate,

If its anything like mine its gonna cost you 250 quid for the part. Its the Manifold intake flap actuator vw part number 038 128 063 L (thats if its a 2.0 tdi). Common fault apparently. VW will charge 400Quid plus VAT.

vwmally
02-12-2008, 05:30 PM
The part I put on "throttle body" is part number 038 128 063 G. That was the flap throttle body on the front of the engine. Do I have to replace the part behind that as well ???? soz if I sound a bit dumb mate !

paul.mgrath
02-12-2008, 05:39 PM
Sorry,

I possibly have confused myself, i thought you had replaced the throttle body and had got an Emmissions light.

Mine came up with the Engine Management light and the message 'Emmissions Workshop Now!'.

This is the part that had to be replaced with this message. This is a complete unit and sits next to the AGR valve.

It is not the throttle body. I believe it is soemthing to do with the emmissions. Mine was full of cr*p as was the AGR valve. Suggest as i am sure you have you get the fault code (VW will charge 40 + Vat).

vwmally
02-12-2008, 05:47 PM
cheers mate. Mine was full of crud too. There was two parts to it, 1 housed the flap, the other housed (what looks like) a pin. The flap part has been replaced. When it happened before it kept blowing fuses. It ran ok for a couple of months now the light comes on without blowing fuses. Also the wife said the light has not been on all day ( ran to Workington, Cockermouth, Whitehaven,but come on just as she picked the little one up from school.

paul.mgrath
02-12-2008, 05:56 PM
This has no pin it just looks like a single barrell carb (with a fully open butterfly valve) for want of a better description.

I believe if its faulty the car will try and 'run on' when you turn the engine off??

paul.mgrath
02-12-2008, 06:04 PM
The part number obviously will change if its not for the same vehicle as mine. Sounds like you have changed the same part as me. VAGCOM or VW dealer?? to identify fault.

I had a mk1 campaign 15yrs ago and never skipped a beat and i thrashed it to within an inch of its life as you do when you are 20. I thought cars were supposed to get better as technology advanced??

vwmally
02-12-2008, 06:13 PM
cheers again mate. It is the same part as the one you changed. Looks like I'm gonna spend more big bucks for diagnostic and repair
Weird thing is I never had any probs with me old Ford Focus. Grass is always greener eh !!!???

paul.mgrath
02-12-2008, 06:18 PM
Safest /cheapest way. You only end up changin things that you don't need to!!

Good luck

vwmally
04-12-2008, 09:13 PM
Cheers mate, it was faulty temp sender unit, £65,,, could have been worse !!

Kevster140
08-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Hi I had the same 'Emmissions Workshop Now!' alarm on Thursday. I phoned VW and went in on Friday, it took them less than an hour and they said they changed the 'throttle sensor'. Under warranty it cost me nout.

Was going to ask if this has any relation to the MAF as i can't find it in the haynes manual?