PDA

View Full Version : 15" to 17" wheel upgrade....Need lowering???

Doctor-X
01-12-2008, 05:12 PM
I currently have 205/60/15" wheels on my Passat and want to upgrade the wheels to 205/45/17" or 215/45/17".

There is quite a big gap at the moment between the top of the tyre and the wheel arch and it looks fairly stupid with 15" wheels on. By getting 17" fitted, will they close the gap around the wheel or will it just stay the same but be higher off the ground?.....Is the only way to reduce the gap to lower the suspension?? :confused:

euroslap
01-12-2008, 05:21 PM
It'll probably make the arches look a bit more full but it always looks a lot lot better with a bit of a drop. ;)

xenon
01-12-2008, 05:26 PM
When changing the rim size you should get tyres with a similar overall diameter. Therefore the distance between tyre and wheel arch should not change. 215/45/17 is a close match to your existing tyres. Try searching for 'tyre size calculator' on the internet - it will help you find the best sizes.

Doctor-X
01-12-2008, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the replies.....I get what you mean about the sizes, so if I went for 215/45/17 I would still have the same gap but less tyre & more wheel which would look better. Is it normal though to have such a large gap between tyre & arch before lowering?....it almost looks wrong

audipersempre
02-12-2008, 03:43 PM
It tends to look more wrong as the wheel increases in size and the trye decreases. It seems to accentuate the gap between wheel/tyre and wheel arch. Makes the car look like it is on stilts!

Lowering would make it look much better although may have an effect on the suspension geometry and handling but I will leave that subject to those who know better than I.

stonedagain
03-12-2008, 08:08 PM
I currently have 205/60/15" wheels on my Passat and want to upgrade the wheels to 205/45/17" or 215/45/17".

There is quite a big gap at the moment between the top of the tyre and the wheel arch and it looks fairly stupid with 15" wheels on. By getting 17" fitted, will they close the gap around the wheel or will it just stay the same but be higher off the ground?.....Is the only way to reduce the gap to lower the suspension?? :confused:
Personally, I would think carefully before lowering your Passat. There isn't much ground clearance under the front end, & the sump is particularly vulnerable (It's the first thing that hits the dreaded speed humps) & it's a pain to change (I know fine well as I smashed mine).

Doctor-X
04-12-2008, 09:14 AM
Personally, I would think carefully before lowering your Passat. There isn't much ground clearance under the front end, & the sump is particularly vulnerable (It's the first thing that hits the dreaded speed humps) & it's a pain to change (I know fine well as I smashed mine).

Hmmmmm....it's all looking a bit too expensive this lowering. I think i'm going to have to stick to 15" pram wheels but the advantage of a comfortable ride cause the hastle seems too much.....thanks for all the replies guys