PDA

View Full Version : Low Battery Warning!

Richmix
01-12-2008, 03:21 PM
To my astonishment yesterday when I started the car, a big flashing warning appeared in my centre display

"Warning Low Battery Level - Battery will charge when you drive" or words to that effect.

I'm sure someone posted something similar a while back and with travelling in the dark most of the time now, has anyone else had this problem?

I noticed it has stopped putting on the interior lights when I open the doors however it doesn't look to be trying to save energy elsewhere.

Quite concerning really seen as though I've only done 12,000 miles

Unless this is just the norm with modern cars and technology? Surely all cars re charge their batteries when you drive - even that I do know!

Anyway, after a good few miles yesterday and today it's still doing it.

thewaterboy08
01-12-2008, 03:53 PM
Would you believe it I came on here to ask the same question as I got that warning over the weekend too. Am not doing very much driving at the moment maybe 6 miles per day so I assumed that was the reason. I read up the manual and if the warning goes off straight away then it seems your fine.

Maybe someone else can shed some light on it.

xenon
01-12-2008, 05:46 PM
The voltage provided by a lead acid battery will reduce when the ambient temperature is low (around or below 0 Celsius). Starting a car engine requires a large current and will also depress that battery voltage further. If the alert only happens during starting of the engine then there is not much to worry about especially if the alert doesn't happen during milder weather. It could be an indication that battery is on the way out though.
Short journeys may not give time for the battery to fully recharge.

Bloater
01-12-2008, 10:02 PM
I received something similar the other day. I was waiting to collect someone, so had driven from work, and had switched off the engine, but left the radio on. Dashboard was still lit up, and then the display turned red, said something about a weak battery, and the system would shutdown shortly.

Sure enough, 5 mins later it did. Now normally when the radio goes off after 10 mins or so, just pressing the button turns it back on, but not this time, dead.

Anyway, I turned the ignition on, and back off, and hey presto radio. No warning then or since. Of course I risked the engine not starting, but couldn't believe it was telling the truth. Had a hill behind me, so bump start was an option:aargh4:

Cheers

a8 tech
01-12-2008, 10:21 PM
There is currently a workshop action for the battery and battery manager update in some cases depending on production date the battery is replaced so ring your local audi dealer and ask them to check for any outstanding campaigns for you b8 a4.

nickhx
02-12-2008, 10:44 AM
There is currently a workshop action for the battery and battery manager update in some cases depending on production date the battery is replaced so ring your local audi dealer and ask them to check for any outstanding campaigns for you b8 a4.

+1

Had this problem recently, but after it went in for the software update (they also replaced a spare part as well), the problem has gone.

Richmix
03-12-2008, 01:22 PM
Thanks everyone - interesting!

This morning I had a new one - Light Malfunction!

It's dropping to bits!

Robertarwel
06-12-2008, 07:27 PM
I'm having the same problem - car has only done 3000 miles and even though I drove the car for 10 miles - this was not enough to get rid of the low battery warning - seems to have got worse during the cold spell. This warning light does not fill me with confidence about the car's ability to start. What if I had a passenger in the car (whilst stationary) who put the light and radio on? - what would happen then!

a8 tech
06-12-2008, 09:00 PM
refer to dealer for workshop recall

Foringo
10-12-2008, 06:29 PM
Just had a call from my Dealer saying that there's a recall on my car (A4 2.7TDi) to check out the power supply. It all sounded a bit vague, something about it may need a new battery? Anyway it's booked in for next week.

Ironic as I just took it back to the Dealer to look at the blower which didn't work yesterday morning, which was a real pain. Tried switching off engine and starting it again to see it was a glitch in any software but still had the problem. Arranged to have them have a quick look at it in the afternoon and of course it was then back working again! I'll have to use my camcorder to record the problem next time.

a8 tech
10-12-2008, 09:04 PM
i have already bloody told you about the battery workshop action you door nob

Foringo
10-12-2008, 09:32 PM
Sincere apologies to the Great Audi Oracle,

I was told it was a Recall & not a Workshop Action.

PS I would get a bit miffed by your comments but as you can't spell 'Knob' I have made some allowances and assumed that you have learning difficulties:D

a8 tech
10-12-2008, 09:43 PM
:biglaugh: recalls are safety actions and workshop actions are manufacturer rectifications to put it in layman's terms.

Nob: the glans (or "head") of the penis, commonly used in the United Kingdom. Sometimes used as a insult lol

sidemoor
11-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Having suffered the same problems, I've just had the action/recall done - noted as 27C5 on the invoice - I'll see if it sorts it out.

jabicho
26-12-2008, 10:43 PM
about this topic iīd like to say that I got the same warning in my avant 143 tdi, I went to the dealer and told me the had to "reset" it... no software updtes or anything like that at the moment.Apparently, everything is o.k. up to now (two weeks later) .Iīd like to say as well that this has nothing to do with cold wearther conditions since I live in Spain...greetings:Blush:

a8 tech
27-12-2008, 09:12 AM
It has nothing to do with cold weather conditions unlike b7 a4.Resetting the battery manager will not rectify the fault if the battery indicates a low charge state and the recall isn't applicable to your vehicle then either the battery requires replacement or recharging as the most likely discharge occurred at the dealer from delivery where you may find they never checked at pdi the battery condition or even worse didn't release transportation mode.

jabicho
27-12-2008, 10:35 AM
It has nothing to do with cold weather conditions unlike b7 a4.Resetting the battery manager will not rectify the fault if the battery indicates a low charge state and the recall isn't applicable to your vehicle then either the battery requires replacement or recharging as the most likely discharge occurred at the dealer from delivery where you may find they never checked at pdi the battery condition or even worse didn't release transportation mode.

I agree with you, in fact the day I bought the car I noticed that the lights inside the vehicle and even in the boot wouldnīt work...until I had done a few miles and arrived to my home, I always suspected that this battery was never fully charged...thanks for the reply

dc1743
02-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Strangely my B8 2.0 tdi owned since June has just exhibited this behavior too. I had not seen this thread so just assumed that lots of short journeys in the cold and dark were responsible. As a result I decided to charge the battery - the first problem was finding it. The manual informed me it was under the luggage compartment, however it also advised that battery charging could be achieved by connecting a charger to two connection points under the bonnet. So this is what I did, so far so good with no further warnings.

Regards

jabicho
02-01-2009, 08:29 PM
:Blush:Thatīs a good solution, could you tell me how long did it take yo charge??? any specific type of charger or just an ordinary one ? Thanx

neilb
02-01-2009, 11:15 PM
NO one with a brand new car these days should have to spend ant time charging a car battery. Take it to the dealer and get them to sort it. Dont wast your time on an AUDI fault!

nlb.

dc1743
04-01-2009, 03:49 PM
:Blush:Thatīs a good solution, could you tell me how long did it take yo charge??? any specific type of charger or just an ordinary one ? Thanx

I am not sure exactly how long it took but I put it on a 3pm and at 11am the next day when I went to check it was fully charged. This was with a really cheap Ģ9.99 charger from Wikinsons.

Regards

jabicho
04-01-2009, 08:32 PM
O.k., thanx for the info

a8 tech
13-01-2009, 11:13 PM
just go to the dealer and ask for the software update that fixes this fault we see 4 of these on average a day and the sw update plus as already mentioned replacement of the battery for certain production date b8 a4
love a8

jon_iz
18-01-2012, 01:06 PM
just go to the dealer and ask for the software update that fixes this fault we see 4 of these on average a day and the sw update plus as already mentioned replacement of the battery for certain production date b8 a4
love a8

Questions for A8..
My B8 is now just over 3 years old (registered Dec 08) and has started exhibiting this problem, twice, just before Christmas.
The car is going in on another matter later this week, so the dealers want to overnight charge it before condemning the battery - they have already confirmed that "it is charging OK"
Is it possible that the car has escaped the workshop action until now? (Although, I suspect it would have shown symptoms before now?)
The car did about 600 miles over Christmas/New year and another 200 miles this weekend, before deciding to complain about low battery again last night (about 1°C).
Is it a fair assumption, that if the battery was in good nick, it should be pretty well charged after these journeys?
The car is now on extended warranty, which doesn't cover batteries, so I am fully expecting to have to buy a battery, however, the dealers tell me that the car needs recoding to tell it a new battery has been fitted... Is this correct/necessary?
Audi battery fitted: ~Ģ250
Halford/Kwikfit fitted: ~Ģ120
So there is a significant difference if coding is not actually required!

gogsboy
29-03-2013, 04:34 PM
Thread revival...as per usual, now seen this on a couple of B8's both with good, fully charged batteries with no starting issues and both Audi UK and workshop at local dealers both say nothing on system and not common

C Mitchell
08-04-2013, 09:11 PM
Any updates on this issue as my 09/2009 tdi SE is also suffering from the low battery problem. I have the low battery warning when sitting with the radio on and my passenger door failed to open recently until I took the car for a 60 mile round trip. Had the health of the battery checked at a local tyre shop and it says health is good so not sure if I should pay Audi for a battery double the price of that fitted at a local tyre shed.

Rayy1230
21-04-2018, 09:44 AM
Hi, I have an Audi A6 C6 2008. I'm getting the same issue with the interior lighting as well as the warning. I've changed the battery and the alternator and the warning light had gone for around 3-4 months, but now I'm back to square one?.. Just wondering if any one has managed to resolve this issue.
I've tried to speak to Audi about it & about upgraded software as mentioned in other forums and they want to run a diagnostic at Ģ65 an hour!
Has anyone had the fix for this issue or does it look like I'll have to give the car to Audi?.

Thank you