PDA

View Full Version : ?frozen electronic brake brake

2003amir
01-12-2008, 08:54 AM
Been a little cold up here for a few days. Started car, defrosted windows, ready to go, and handbrake wouldn't come off, failure light came up. VW assist man here (20min to come), working on it.

Has anyone else had problems related to freezing conditions?

Also note contradictory advice in hand book:

Section 3.2, Operating, top p18, right side
“Always switch off the parking brake before leaving the vehicle. Engage the 1st gear (manual gearbox) or select P in an automatic gearbox/diret shift gearbox DSG.”

But under Parking, top p19, left side
“The parking brake should always be switched on when you park the vehicle.”

Cheers
Amir

ionic
01-12-2008, 08:31 PM
I try to leave the parking brake off if the weathers freezing as I had it stick on for a few minutes before.

2003amir
01-12-2008, 10:48 PM
in the end the VW assist man got one side working, and had to remove the faulty motor from the N/S one. So visit to dealer later in week.

Car driveable, but very anoying bong every second while you drive with flashing warning lights on dash and brake button. Also won't allow cruise to work.

Ionic, I can't always predict when it's going to be freezing. Do you just not use the parking brake in winter then? Having read all the problems, am starting to think I should only use it for those rare hill starts only, and stick to the DSG park gear

sathound
02-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Had the VW assistance technician out last week. Apparently what happens is that the calipers seize onto the discs and when you attempt to drive away the electronic parking brake blows the fuse to the caliper motors necessitating removal of the rear wheels etc and manually winding the calipers out to release from the disc. This is particularly likely if you park on a hill as the parking brake winds itself on extra tight.

mhurer
02-12-2008, 05:39 PM
I try to leave the parking brake off if the weathers freezing as I had it stick on for a few minutes before.

Stupid questions
(1) If I park on a driveway with a slight incline, is it sufficient to just leave the car in gear without the parking brake on?

(2) Does leaving it in gear without the parking brake put any strain on other components, such as gearbox or engine?

gamichea
02-12-2008, 06:18 PM
Stupid questions
(1) If I park on a driveway with a slight incline, is it sufficient to just leave the car in gear without the parking brake on?

(2) Does leaving it in gear without the parking brake put any strain on other components, such as gearbox or engine?

For what its worth:-

(1) I do this on my slightly inclined drive safe in the knowledge the car could not escape my property. It has never moved. The car is usually facing downhill so I select reverse gear. On the odd occasion its facing uphill I select 1st gear. If you are concerned the car could run away chock one wheel.

(2) I've done this for years with various cars and not had problems. I would think any (steady) load being applied to the transmission/engine is as nothing compared to the various loads applied while the car is moving under power.

mhurer
02-12-2008, 07:31 PM
Thanks - makes sense. I have been leaving the car in gear as well as putting the parking brake on, but for winter I may not use the parking brake.

Moth70
03-12-2008, 01:42 AM
My wife reported something similar to me while she was out driving the car today - "bings, warning lights and brakes squealing for a short time" - happened after she set off.

I read this thread before she got home and feared the worst. I checked it over when she got home and all seems fine now - the parking brake seems to be releasing and applying just fine.

Hopefully we got away with it - we'll see.....

I left the parking brake off overnight tonight though as it's going to be another cold one.

I'm a bit surprised and disappointed by this though - it isn't that cold here. Surely the minimum operating temperature for the parking brake is lower than approx zero degrees C? What about the other countries where it is sold - eg Scandinavia?!

mhurer
03-12-2008, 08:02 AM
I'm a bit surprised and disappointed by this though - it isn't that cold here.

I agree, this is disappointing. I've added it to my list of things to be aware of about this car:

(1) Do not use parking brake when it gets a bit cold as they may jam in place

(2) Do not use parking sensors when it rains - when you need them most, because they do not work, even ones that have been replaced (on second set at rear)

(3) Do not use diesel car with DPF around town, because you will clog it up

(4) If you have the CD changer (RCD500), do be patient when changing CDs and don't change them that often because it will jam... (on second head set)

(5) Do not expect boot lid to open when cold, again when you need it to work most

(6) ......

Had the car for 4 months now, and at this rate I will be adding one issue per month!

Quatrelle
03-12-2008, 06:01 PM
Stating the blindingly obvious - if you are relying solely on leaving it in gear, make sure it is in gear. I had a VW in the '70s and that rolled down my drive after I'd left it in gear (or so I thought) one winter's night. In my defence, it was rear-engined so the linkage was probably dodgy.

Left in 1st gear, it would take a very steep hill to overcome the resistance of a diesel engine, but I'd still chock it to be on the safe side - as a guarantee against my incompetence.

Quatrelle
03-12-2008, 06:08 PM
(5) Do not expect boot lid to open when cold, again when you need it to work most

Do you mean it doesn't unlock, or that the lid doesn't rise?

If it's the lock, it might be worth doing a search - I think spraying with WD40 was the answer.

Spudrig
03-12-2008, 10:59 PM

If it's the lock, it might be worth doing a search - I think spraying with WD40 was the answer.

My car has started doing the same thing Quatrelle. I think he meant that the lid doesnt rise when you hold the button on the key or open it from inside the car. You have to manually lift up the lid. It really sounds like laziness but you do miss not having to get out of the car to open the boot for someone! Now if I could just get it to close automatically too :D

Quatrelle
03-12-2008, 11:18 PM
I think previously the comment was that it was worse in the cold weather, presumably because the gas in the strut is less effective.

I'm guessing the lid pivots on nylon bearings, but I'd still have the boot lining off and have a look. But then mine's out of guarantee in a fortnight, and I do like to meddle.

Stuart W
04-12-2008, 04:54 AM
Left in 1st gear, it would take a very steep hill to overcome the resistance of a diesel engine

I've witnessed my Passat doing that - when it was coming off the transporter when my fuel pump packed in :Blush2:

Spudrig
04-12-2008, 12:41 PM
I think previously the comment was that it was worse in the cold weather, presumably because the gas in the strut is less effective.

I'm guessing the lid pivots on nylon bearings, but I'd still have the boot lining off and have a look. But then mine's out of guarantee in a fortnight, and I do like to meddle.

Thanks Quatrelle, I think a little bit of grease on the mechanism will do the trick. It certainly did last winter when my car was in for a service, as VW put some grease on the door and boot joints :p

mhurer
04-12-2008, 02:37 PM

Sorry, I meant it does unlock and moves a little, but doesn't rise. I agree just being lazy as once you get used to it working you want it to work all the time. I'm sure some lubrication will help, so will give it a go at the weekend.

Spudrig
04-12-2008, 10:15 PM
Sorry, I meant it does unlock and moves a little, but doesn't rise. I agree just being lazy as once you get used to it working you want it to work all the time. I'm sure some lubrication will help, so will give it a go at the weekend.

Mhurer see my post above, a bit of grease on the mechanism will sort out the problem hopefully :p

rjt64
05-12-2008, 02:54 PM
I'd add don't try to open doors if its been a freezing night-seriously!!
On my last VW-a 130 TDi Golf estate- the drivers door was sticky in the morning after rain the day before and a freezing night. I pulled it to open and the rubber sealing strip tore out a chunk.
When I spoke to customer "service"- what a misnomer that is-at my dealer they said it was my fault for trying to open the door......
Apparently you shouldn't try:confused:

Quatrelle
05-12-2008, 08:00 PM
I'd add don't try to open doors if its been a freezing night-seriously!!
On my last VW-a 130 TDi Golf estate- the drivers door was sticky in the morning after rain the day before and a freezing night. I pulled it to open and the rubber sealing strip tore out a chunk.
When I spoke to customer "service"- what a misnomer that is-at my dealer they said it was my fault for trying to open the door......
Apparently you shouldn't try:confused:The driver's handbook for the Passat suggests lubricating the door seal rubbers with a special rubber lubricant in order to preserve the seals' life. I think it also helps the door seals 'accept' the doors when they are shut, and help keep down any unnecessary wind noise. I've done mine, just have to be careful when spraying.

Might perhaps help avoid them freezing together.

mhurer
06-12-2008, 08:29 AM
The driver's handbook for the Passat suggests lubricating the door seal rubbers with a special rubber lubricant in order to preserve the seals' life.

What lubricant do you use? I was thinking of using WD40. Any suggestions?

Quatrelle
06-12-2008, 11:43 AM
What lubricant do you use? I was thinking of using WD40. Any suggestions?
The aerosol I used is made in France and simply describes itself as a rubber protector, for use on car door seals, caravans etc. I bought it in a car accessory shop here.

Not sure about WD40, and whether the seals would feel dry after a while. The stuff I use seems to remain slippery, even the tin does. WD40 says it doesn't contain silicone, but to my mind something that does would be better. Perhaps a ptfe spray might work - I've got a dry ptfe spray - I believe it's possible to buy a 'wet' one.

Again, you have to be careful that the spray only goes where you want it to - any excess can be wiped off plastic and metal, I was more concerned to protect the seats.

Cypher
17-12-2008, 04:31 PM
Hello,

I am also feeling that problem... last weekend, with a night temperature around 0-1ºC, I woke up, try to went to work, and ESP off, failure brake light, Cruise control disabled, pressure of tyres light always on!

I went to a friend which is an expert on car electronicals (Bosch Car Service), and after connecting it, to the machine, he found a brake sensor which is not working properly...already asked for it...takes a week to come!

Meanwhile it is a X-mas lights on the dashboard! And already got spooked with the ESP off...

How is your case? Already solved?

2003amir
18-12-2008, 12:21 AM
Hi,

N/S motor was replaced under warranty. Service manager frowned when I said I had been driving without functional handbrake for 2 days, and said VW assist man should have towed me to the garage. Said it was unusual for this to have happened.

Since then, I am a bit apprehensive when setting off on a cold morning. Got about 18month warranty left, so at least another winter to see how it goes.

Brakes seem a bit different now- doesn't auto-release as smoothly as before when applying slight accelerator pressure, and new squeak has developed. Will wait and see.