PDA

View Full Version : Quattro rear diffirential questions

Niall76
19-02-2007, 09:38 PM
Hello everyone.

I have a 97/98 A6 2.8 quattro and while I was under the car noticed a little oil had been thrown out of the drive shaft seals at the rear diff.

Not sure if it's because it maybe had been a little over filled (the seals look fine) or if there's a problem? To see if there's a problem I thought I'd take out the filler plug and check the oil level.

Thing is, what I'm assuming is the filler plug is in there mighty tight! Not wanting to keep persuading it and run the possibility of breaking something I thought I'd ask on here first.

The diff is quiet and I've had no bother with it so it may well be nothing but I'd like to check to make sure. I can't afford dealer prices so is anyone able to give me any advice?

Very much appreciated

Cheers

adamss24
19-02-2007, 11:30 PM
Please check the oil as if its too low, it will dammage the rear diff. Please go to the dealer for the right oil and please do that asap...It may be ok for a while, since you dont hear any low noise or a humming comming from the rear end but dont ignore because it will cost big money to replace the diff. Cheers.

Niall76
20-02-2007, 09:12 AM
But the dealer is way too expensive!

I wanted to know how to do it myself. I have the oil and access to a workshop.