PDA

View Full Version : wheel bearings

smep
30-11-2008, 07:13 PM
Hello, Don't know if this is the correct site but I would please welcome any advice. I am pretty ignorant re the mechanics but I think that the front nearsid wheelbearings have gone on my 04 audi sport 32k miles.When I start the car and put a full lock on it judders and does feel a bit bumpy when driving.I don't know the cost of replacing the bearings if I took it to a garage and would welcome any views .Thanks Steve . smep@smep.karoo.co.uk

MalcQV
01-12-2008, 01:53 PM
Worn wheel bearings will whine at speed, usually if you round a left or right bend depending on which way and which side the sound will increase.

From what you describe it may be a CV joint.

euroslap
01-12-2008, 02:06 PM
I agree with Malc, it sounds like a CV joint. I think the CV kits are around £50 plus whatever the garage charges for the fitting. ;)

smep
01-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Hello Thanks for kindly getting back to me which is very helpful and makes sense .I was thinking of selling my audi and buying a newer golf as I don't want to be getting into excessive repair costs etc. Thanks ,Steve.

lard44
01-12-2008, 06:23 PM
CVs aren't too tricky if you give yourself some time and have (as always) the right tools.

Although is it just me or is 32k an unusually short life span for a CV joint? Unless the boot's been split for a while...

I just did 3 on my golf but it just rolled round to 98k.

STEWY L
01-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Hello, Don't know if this is the correct site but I would please welcome any advice. I am pretty ignorant re the mechanics but I think that the front nearsid wheelbearings have gone on my 04 audi sport 32k miles.When I start the car and put a full lock on it judders and does feel a bit bumpy when driving.I don't know the cost of replacing the bearings if I took it to a garage and would welcome any views .Thanks Steve . smep@smep.karoo.co.uk
i think you will find that this is just a "trait" of this model.
no noises,just roughness on full lock.i'm sure i have read on this forum that
it's normal. at the mileage you state you would be very unlucky to be needing either c/v joints,or wheel bearings,
if it is a nearside bearing it would be more pronounced when on right hand lock as the weight of the car would be transfered to that side,best to jack
the car up and check both sides for excessive movement,but i would be suprized if you found anything,
regards,
stewy.

smep
01-12-2008, 10:00 PM
Thanks for this which is very helpful and I am grateful for the support.Cheers ,Steve.

paul b
03-12-2008, 12:31 AM
Try this...

Lift the bonnet, turn the wheel left or right while stationary (of course ;)) and if you hear a rather disturbing squeek/clatter/banging noise and the poly V belt is flapping then you will need a new alternator pulley bearing. Not too expensive.

Can't imagine its the wheel bearings, usually they just whine.

Paul