PDA

View Full Version : Beetle thermostat location

roosty
30-11-2008, 05:37 PM
Hi. Hope I don't get flamed if this has already been asked elsewhere - I do finf the navs on this site are a tad difficult to say the least, for me anyway:o

I have an 03 beetle ragtop 2.0ltr. Got towed home by the RAC yesterday as the coolant lamp came on and stayed on on the M4. RAC bloke reckons either a dodgy stat or possibly water pump. Said he's go for the stat. Anyway, does anyone know where the stat is hidden? Tracing the pipework it looks like it may be on the right, halfway along the hose from the rad.

Just thought I'd ask here before getting my hands dirty;-)

Oh, and the same car has awfull headlights. Been that way since we bought it a year ago. Is that a trate of this model or have we possibly got some dodgy lamps or bulbs?

Cheers in advance.

Crasher
30-11-2008, 06:01 PM
The stat is on the block behind the accessory bracket and in front of number 2 cylinder, it is quite easy to change but the bolt hidden behind the bracket is slightly awkward to get at depending on the engine code. The thermostat very rarely fails, did the temperature gauge go right up?

Yes the headlights are poor.

roosty
01-12-2008, 04:59 PM
Thanks, Crasher.

The temp symbol on the dash just lit up, something beeped 3 times then the temp symbol flashed constantly till the engine cooled down. RAC bloke said the water pumps are prone to breakdowns as well. The top hoses were hot, bottom ones were cooler and the heater matrix wasn't kicking out much heat when it happened. Guess I'll have to strip both out to make sure I get it fixed;-(

roosty
01-12-2008, 08:28 PM
Update:

Just removed the stat (tip; to get the bottom bolt out without removing or losening the alternator, braze the right size allen key to a 75mm bolt and use that with a socket and wrench - it works a treat).

I stuck the stat a pan of boiling water hoping it would fail. No luck. It works fine.

Soooo, any idea where I find the damn water pump??

cheers in advance

Crasher
01-12-2008, 08:32 PM
The water pump is just to the right of the thermostat and it means removing the expansion tank, power steering fluid reservoir, offside engine mount released, and then the timing belt off.

roosty
01-12-2008, 10:09 PM
Thanks once again, Crasher. Advice appreciated;-)