PDA

View Full Version : Audi A4 3.0 Cab Auto - Decision

Newt1
29-11-2008, 08:42 PM
Hi Guys,

After some help deciding which car to buy.
I have a choice of two Audi A4 3.0 Cabrio Auto's.

One has 65k on the clock, full leather with Factory Sat Nav, Reverse sensors and S4 alloys.

T'other has 45k on the clock, Alcantra? Cloth interior, with Grey trim. No extra toys.

Both are same age (03).

Im in a decision dilemma, both are the same price and mint, straight cars.
Should I go for the lower mileage or the full black leather ?

Also, and I have test driven one of them. (Will try the other first if I decide to buy it). Ive seen a few posts about the Multitronic gearbox failing. What should I be looking for to reduce the chances of getting a duff one ?

And finally there were no nocks or rattles but driving it didnt seem like a 0-60 of 7.8seconds, possibly cos it was a lot smoother than my existing A4 1.9tdi or could I be looking at a symptom of a fault ?

All advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks.
Mark.

Newt1
30-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Right, decision made...
Gone for higher mileage bigger spec car.
Call me a fool but driving around worrying about some stupid numbers on your dash just doesnt make sense. Cars are for enjoying...roll on the summer !!

coolio
01-12-2008, 12:04 AM
Nice one, I love my 3.0 :D

zeratul
01-12-2008, 11:11 AM
Yup - I think you made the right decision :)

Mr_Meeks
01-12-2008, 02:16 PM
"And finally there were no nocks or rattles but driving it didnt seem like a 0-60 of 7.8seconds, possibly cos it was a lot smoother than my existing A4 1.9tdi or could I be looking at a symptom of a fault ?"

Put it in sport mode on the gearbox (S) then put your foot down, you'll then feel the true power!!!!!!

Mr Solo
02-12-2008, 01:42 PM
I agree.You made the right choice.As long as the gear box oil been changed before 40k you should not have any problems.You've got to have the extras.Good luck.

Newt1
02-12-2008, 11:04 PM
Pick it up tomorrow dinner time.

Already got it booked in for cambelt and water pump just in case it hasnt been done already. Its 5 years old so hit and miss. Either way not too worried as the old mans owns a garage so can do everything for just a few beers :-)

Sleepless nite 2nite I think :D

I'll be sad to see the Tdi go as well. Its given me 18 months and 20k miles of obsolute sterling service. Only problem was a tyre blow out, brake pads and a pair of wiper blades.

Hope the new one is equally as reliable.

Newt1
03-12-2008, 11:39 PM
Well, picked her up.
Good news, theres been 2 gearbox oil changes in 60k miles.
6 months ago (50k) audi replaced both the gearbox ECU and oil.
Poor bloke that owned it previous must be well skint !

It drives absolutely superb. You can definately tell why its an extra £10k between the new A4 TDi and a new A4 3.0 Cab.

Just the cambelt, tensioner and water pump to be done for me now.
Theres also a note on a service sheet from audi that the front pads and discs are at 50% but thats an easy one to sort out and cheap as chips.

The beer count for the old fella is mounting up fast lol :beerchug:

Mr Solo
04-12-2008, 07:49 PM
Glad to hear it.The only thing i don't like about mine is the hand brake positioning. To pull it up I've got to lift the arm rest and that's annoying. I don't know about the 3 liter but my 1.8 lacks the power to hold the car on a hill. It rolls back, so I hold it with the hand brake and move it forward from that.And every time I think about the weeks wages going out my account for the next 5 years,I open up my front door,look and the beauty of my car,and smile like I'm stupid.:biglaugh:.Wait for the real fun when it's warm enough for the roof to come down.That when the real love starts.
Good luck