PDA

View Full Version : Question Cost of a coil replacement 2.0 FSI

RichKi
29-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Hi,

I had the unfortunate experience of breaking down miles from home the other day and had to visit a garage for repairs. The coil in the 2nd cylinder was replaced along with all four spark plugs.

We all hear horror stories of garages 'seeing us coming', and I'm just wondering what a repair like this should have cost. Don't get me wrong, the garage was great - I'm just looking for piece of mind.

I'm also thinking of writing to them to thank them but if they have seen me coming that would be silly.

I hope you can help.

Cheers

Rich

sukhig
01-12-2008, 05:44 PM
Hey jus read your email

With regards to coil replacement this should be covered by audi as this was a common fault on the the a3's. Even if your warranty has expired they are replacing them f.o.c. as a good will gestgure. Had 2 of my replaced on my a2 2.0 fsi by a audi dealership.

Not quite sure if they're going to give you a refund as the works all ready been carried out.

RichKi
01-12-2008, 10:31 PM
Aw crap! Ha!

I'll give the dealer a call tomorrow on the off chance.

If I'd broken down nearer home I would have took the time to find out, but with three passengers wanting to get home at 8:30 in the morning I called the nearest tow truck.

Gutted!

Crasher
01-12-2008, 10:50 PM
Your car is a 2005 with a BLX code engine but is 4 years and 4 months old so I can’t see Audi doing the coil pack under warranty, but you never know. A coil pack for your car is part number 06F 905 115 F and costs £30 genuine and plugs are £48 a set genuine so say an hour tops for labour including doing a code read and clear, say £55 so around £130 all in max.

RichKi
02-12-2008, 09:22 PM
Blimey - you're on the ball aren't you? Where'd you get all that information from?

Car is an 04 plate and the VIN number suggests its an 05 engine (10th digit).

From what you're saying, it would seem I was fairly charged which is always a relief. I had to pay an extra £30 for a tow to the garage but at £30 for the code diagnostics, £25 labour, £30 for new spark plugs and £46.50 for the coil itself, I don't suppose that's at all bad totaling around £190.

Thanks for your help! :beerchug:

Crasher
02-12-2008, 09:47 PM
I am in the trade and have reg ID software, now you have scrubbed out your front plate on your album shots I couldn’t do it again!

Anyway you had your trousers pulled down, bent over and taken from behind on the price of the coil, that is outrageous adding 50% to the price of a genuine VAG coil but the plugs were fair and the labour, tow in and diagnostics fair as well.

RichKi
15-12-2008, 11:20 PM
Ah, I see.

Well, there wasn't much I could do being stranded miles from home so guess I took that one deep.

Still got an enquiry outstanding with local dealer though so who knows, maybe I'll get some of it back. Doubt it like, but if you don't ask, you don't get.

Thanks for your help.