PDA

View Full Version : High Mileage A4

sparticus
19-02-2007, 03:57 PM
Hi new to the forum here so hi!

Looking to buy an Audi A4 and have found one which is a 2001 new shape 1.8t with 120k on the clocks and full Audi History.

Do these cars last well? Im assuming being german it can handle big miles but was just wanting to see! also is the 2.0 sport/se a better bet to go for?

Cheers :beerchug:

skymaster
19-02-2007, 05:21 PM
I personally would be cautious about this many miles. You would need to check very carefully that the correct servicing had been carried out as well as cambelt changes, brake fluid etc etc. If it has had full main dealer treatment all those miles with any wearing parts replaced then it could be a good car.

Is it a private seller?

The car itself should bear up well. I bought a used 53 plate model with 56 k on the clock and the car still looks, feels and seems almost brand new!!! The fittings and trim have worn very well so far. The A4 does seem to wear very well with miles on. Much better than most cars

sparticus
19-02-2007, 08:00 PM
seen a couple on auto trader between 5 and 6k most seem to have FASH and range between 86k and 130k so is there no real realibility difference between 1.8t and 2.0 models?

skymaster
19-02-2007, 08:15 PM
I am no expert but from what I read most of the A4 engines are pretty solid in terms of reliability. I guess there is no turbo to go wrong on the 2 litre. I have heard that multitronic can be a problem generally though.

The 1.8T is available in a few guises from 163bhp up to 190 (I think) and certainly more brisk than the 2 litre. If you are thinking of chipping it then the 1.8T provides more scope.

RickT
20-02-2007, 12:21 AM
Hi...

I run a 2.0 Sport, i have now put 120k on this car.... still runns fine... had to replace a themostat the other day... £43.00...

apart from that... the only other things are the coil packs... ever 30 k or so... but thats the same with any Audi petrol engine really....

if i was you... i would go for a looked after 1.8T.. as thats what i would do if i was you... the 2.0 is a nice solid lump and goes well... but if you want that extra power 20BHP.. go for it...

Also in regards to wear... just check the drive shafts for clicking... these seem to go around the 100K milage... and only cost about £100 to fix... no big deal...

If you look at mine from outside of in.... once cleaned you would not know if it was the last of the first A4 B6... its perfect inside and out..

RicKT