PDA

View Full Version : Sagging Valcona leather seats

moptisam2
28-11-2008, 09:24 AM
Rather than reactivate the old thread, I thought it would be useful to start a new one as some people will have had their cars for a few months and so they may have had the same experience as me (I know that there were quite a few complaints on a separate A5 Forum).

I would just like to quote from a letter I have now had from Audi about the sagging on my beige Valcona seats. I have done 4800 miles since 21 June.

"After investigating your concerns in great detail and speaking to.... I can confirm that the wear and tear on your seats is purely down to the gradual "wear in" process of natural materials, which over time become more flexible. This has no negative effect on the seat support and therefore is not covered under the Audi warranty."

Have other people complained to Audi? What sort of replies have you had?

mkc
28-11-2008, 09:43 AM
I mentioned this on another thread. I have the half leather S Line seats and Im sure that the quality of leather is not as good as yours. However, after only a few 100 miles the side parts of the seat started to sag and look as if they wouldnt last 1000s of miles, never mind 10Ks worth.

Ive not complained to Audi as others on here already mentioned that they do this, although thats no reason to accept it, I just know they wont listen to me as a company car user. Im all for Audi saying its part of the bedding in these seats do but my leather sofa at home does not do this and its used a whole lot more than my car seats. If you ask me, looking at the arm rest in the back of my car, the leather does not appear to have been been pulled tight enough over its frame. I have some air pockets under neath various parts of leather in my car.

Mine is a company car so although Im treating the car as if it was my own and it will be well looked after and not too concerned. However, if I had spent £1000s of a leather upgrade I would be very annoyed. My old Pug 106 Gti leather looked great after 80K other than a few marks

JohnH99
09-12-2008, 11:11 AM
I have spoken to the dealer twice now about this and have been told that the seats are "wearing as expected". They have been really good about everything else that has needed attention under warranty but will not move on this one - too expensive I suppose as these are climate seats. I had a Honda Accord before this and its leather seats looked better than this after 50000 plus miles. I guess the nest step is to go direct to Audi although I'm sure that I'll just get referred back to the dealer. I though I had moved up a league in going back to Audi but now I'm wondering.

Jop
10-12-2008, 12:45 PM
I have spoken to the dealer twice now about this and have been told that the seats are "wearing as expected". They have been really good about everything else that has needed attention under warranty but will not move on this one - too expensive I suppose as these are climate seats. I had a Honda Accord before this and its leather seats looked better than this after 50000 plus miles. I guess the nest step is to go direct to Audi although I'm sure that I'll just get referred back to the dealer. I though I had moved up a league in going back to Audi but now I'm wondering.

I wont be buying audi again... Not because of the car; butr because of the service.
One of my rear passanger doors requires a much harder shut to actually close it than the rest of the doors.
They "cant find a fault" as normal, im left feeling as if im just being picky.

My radio doesnt work either.
Also, after 3000 miles the passanger seat is sagging and not the drivers seat. This is odd as the passenger seat is only used about 25% of the time.

30k for a lump of unsupported bad workmanship.

moptisam2
10-12-2008, 04:37 PM
Rather than contact Audi, and get an unsatisfactory reply, why not do the 'I have driven this car' on the What Car website, where you put your experiences against the actual car. Go to:
http://www.whatcar.co.uk/car-review-readers.aspx?RT=309&U=0

I think I may do that and then send the extract to Audi in Germany.

conman
11-12-2008, 01:51 PM
i have a lexus IS 220 that had some premature wear on the side bolsters of both the passenger and drivers leather seats,the car was two years old and covered 33k.both seat backs were fitted with new leather under warranty without quible.if it were you guys i would take the supplying dealer to the small claims court,i am considering changing my lexus soon which is why i am reading these forums,is audi quality and warranty starting to slip?

Crasher
11-12-2008, 02:52 PM
Starting to slip! Service was never there in the 21 years I have been experiencing it and the quality fell apart in the mid nineties.

Redzer
11-12-2008, 03:59 PM
And i thought it was just me that was wondering where this famous build quality went.
I'm on my first and last Audi because of the list of problems i have had with it....i've had more problems with this car than i had with my previous 5 cars and that included 2 fords which never gave a days trouble and a diesel renault which was probably a close second to the Audi in terms of reliability.

The only problem with all of the above is that i still like the car :confused:

Crasher
11-12-2008, 04:44 PM
German build quality went out of the window with wage demands.

blackcurrent
11-12-2008, 08:11 PM
what's this a mothers meeting:p

Crasher
12-12-2008, 12:04 AM
Nope, grumpy old b@5t@rd5!

Jop
12-12-2008, 08:56 PM
I went to another audi dealer today (to have someone look at my radio problems)
I looked in the window of a brand new showroom A4.. guess what.... the seats were sagging. I didn't quiz the dealer on it as I didn't want to jeopardize my chances of getting the radio sorted.

Upshot... its just the dealer i brought my car from that got a D- in aftersales and customer care.
The dealer I was at today were first class.

like a previous comment, besides the list of moans; I still LOVE the car.

My guess... In 6 months there will probably be a unannounced B8 2.0
All these niggles suffered by the early adopters will be sorted, like the now included boot dampers.

blackcurrent
12-12-2008, 09:21 PM
which one did you visit today?

Jop
13-12-2008, 01:00 PM
which one did you visit today?
Spire Automotive: www.m25audi.co.uk
I visited the Hatfield (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&q=51.775436,-0.217699%20%28Hertfordshire%20AL9%205%20United%20K ingdom%29) branch